Replacement knee issues!

fificlark
fificlark Member Posts: 2
edited 2. Jul 2017, 09:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello.
New to the forum. I'm 51 years old and had a total knee replacement 3 April this year. I've been doing my exercises every day and walking too, as my Physio instructed me to do. I have a constant clicking in my knee which wasn't there before. It even clicks when I turn over in bed. Am I doing something wrong? I also have a 'trapped nerve like pain' at the back of my knee - again new since the op. My Physio says it's something to do with the sciatic nerve but it means I can't ride a stationary bike at the mo. Am I being too impatient?!!!
I'd appreciate any advice.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Fificlark,

Lovely to meet you, I'm glad you found us and I'm sure you will find help from the many forum members who have had knee surgery themselves.

I've had a quick look at post-op information on knee replacement surgery, and can't find anything relating to what you are saying - good news there. You are seeing a physio and she isn't too worried so good news there.

However the pain and clicking haven't gone away and I'm guessing at around 12 weeks post op that you have had your follow up with your surgeon. For my cycling would be my favourite way of getting movement and strengthening my knee too.

I haven't had knee surgery, though I'm on the waiting list myself, so my best suggestion so far is ring your surgeons secretary to ask advice and visit your GP to let him see the problem. Of course you are here which is perfect!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on

Take care
    Yvonne
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome, fificlark. I don't know if this will help but, here goes.

After my knee revision (replacement of an ancient replacement) I was so anxious to get home I forgot all the drill and swivelled with all my weight on my newly-operated leg as I got into the car. From then on it clicked. I did nothing (It was Christmas) until my follow-up visit when I fessed up but my surgeon said it'd sort itself out and was only something or other bedding in. It did and, about 8-9 years later, it's still as good as new.

I've never had the back of knee pain post-op (3 x TKRs and 2 x THRs) but, as you mention an exercise bike, I'm wondering if you might be just trying a bit too hard and wanting things to happen to quickly. There's a lot of inner healing to go on inside long after the outer scar looks good. For my money, if the physio's happy then I'd be happy. Maybe they could give an extra exercise for the sciatic nerve. I did have a problem with mine a year or two back and the physio sorted it very quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright