Mosquitoes and Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
Lindywindy
Lindywindy Member Posts: 5
edited 6. Jul 2017, 04:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have had Psoriatic Arthritis for around 15 years which has been fairly stable and well controlled with a small amount of Methotrexate for which I am very thankful. I am thinking of going abroad later in the year to possibly Jordan, Dubai or somewhere like Miami. I am rather concerned about mosquitoes bites and some of the nasty diseases you can get from them because I know that there is one particular disease that can attack the joints. I know they advise you to use insect repellant with 20% deet and to where long sleeves and trousers when the mossies are at their worst in the evenings. I was wondering if anyone can offer any other suggestions as to how I can protect myself better as when I first had the arthritis I was unable to walk at all and I would rather not take any risks which might trigger a major flare up again.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I too have PsA and became attractive to mozzies after I began injected meth combined with a biologic treatment (gotta love the arthritic freebies). I cover up from head-to-toe due to increased sun sensitivity (another lovely gift) and spray myself and my togs with the appropriate stuff but still get bitten. I suspect the only way to avoid them and the risks they offer is to holiday where they don't exist. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben