anyone experienced ankle fusion or replacement aged 40?

Options
anklearthritis
anklearthritis Member Posts: 3
edited 14. Jan 2018, 11:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've suffered from ankle osteoarthritis for at least ten years and have had two arthroscopies. The first really helped but the second one hasn't and I now know that I have lost most of my cartilage now. I'm taking Naproxen every day to help with the pain but am aware that this isn't ideal over the longer term.

I wondered if anyone else has faced the choice of ankle fusion or replacement at around my age? What did you do?

My surgeon basically said that ankle replacements aren't really being offered anymore, especially not at my age. I'm seeing him again later this week.

It just feels very final to choose to fuse the joint, and also like fusing my ankle now will create more problems in the rest of my body which will then have to be dealt with. A replacement feels much more acceptable - but what do I do when it runs out? What happens when a joint replacement runs out?

Really grateful for any advice or experience.

I spoke to a lovely lady on the arthritis care helpline today who gave me lots of good advice about preparing for the conversation with my surgeon (thank you for that). But I also wanted to hear from others who had faced similar decisions.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me, too. I'm not exactly in the same boat as you but some of my experiences might help.

I've had RA since I was 15. This led to OA and I've had both hips and knees replaced. My ankles, however, fused themselves over the years, fortunately in an excellent position according to one orthopaedic surgeon who did x-rays on them. Being fused is great for me as I no longer have ankle pain though the rest of my feet are rubbish. I'm really glad mine fused. My wrists did the same and, again, have given no trouble since.

As for replacement joints, I had my knees replaced back in '81 and one of the replacements had to be replaced about 8 years ago. It's a longer operation and a much longer implant carrying, I was told, an ongoing risk of infection. But it's been brilliant and looks amazing on x-rays. I have no idea what the situation is with ankles, though. Your surgeon would need to tackle that question.

I found a page on Arthritis Research UK dealing with ankle surgery. You might find it helpful. I hope so. These decisions can be so difficult, can't they?
    http://tinyurl.com/jqaaaok
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi, Sorry I'm late replying to topic, I had a toe and foot fusion beginning of the year and I have to say it's the best thing I have ever done! Before the op I was in constant pain with my toe and foot I had to walk on the side of my foot as I couldn't put my foot flat and put weight on it, I was miserable. Since the operation I've got my mojo back and wish I had the operation sooner. I hope you have made a decision that you will be happy with. :)
  • anklearthritis
    anklearthritis Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you stickywicket and bubbadog. These are both reassuring replies - I'm glad that fusion helped you.

I'm going to try and keep going as long as I can without it but it does seem that it is becoming inevitable.

It's so nice to hear from other people who have been through similar issues - its so rare to meet in real life.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    You're right. I think one of the main strengths of the forum is that we are talking to the - unfortunately - initiated so we do all 'get it'.

I hope things go as smoothly as possible for you but we are always here for the rougher times :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    Hi welcome to the forum

I had my right ankle fused in 2001 aged early 40's & left in 2009 , I had a Triple Arthrodesis on both ankles which is the small joints which they cant replace & need both main ankle joints fused at some point

the main advantage of a fusion is having no or little pain from the joint , recovery is six months , dont know why they wont offer replacement but they must have a reason , dont leave it to long to get the joint done as it can cause long term damage but make a list of questions & talk to the consultant
  • dalek
    dalek Member Posts: 32
    Options
    trepolpen wrote:
    Hi welcome to the forum

I had my right ankle fused in 2001 aged early 40's & left in 2009 , I had a Triple Arthrodesis on both ankles which is the small joints which they cant replace & need both main ankle joints fused at some point

the main advantage of a fusion is having no or little pain from the joint , recovery is six months , dont know why they wont offer replacement but they must have a reason , dont leave it to long to get the joint done as it can cause long term damage but make a list of questions & talk to the consultant
    Is it really 6 mths recovery!!!
    I had my left ankle fused 6th Dec 17. Still in plaster but hope to get an air boot next week. I have been working from home but really need to make an appearance in the office as I am only on a 6mth contract. When did you start driving?

Sent from my Signature Touch using Tapatalk
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    dalek wrote:
    e]Is it really 6 mths recovery!!!
    I had my left ankle fused 6th Dec 17. Still in plaster but hope to get an air boot next week. I have been working from home but really need to make an appearance in the office as I am only on a 6mth contract. When did you start driving?

Sent from my Signature Touch using Tapatalk

Hi , six weeks after I had a airboot & started to pitch on it , you will know how much weight you can put on it because of the pain but it gets better & after 12/13 weeks was able to put full weight throught it , I was able to drive then , (automatic) but needed the boot for another 2/3 months

hope it goes ok & nice pain free joint