hip pain

tinkerbell14
tinkerbell14 Member Posts: 2
I've been suffering from osteoarthritis for some years now,spine related and hips. This last week or so I'm getting pain in my groin. And when I go to stand up I get pain radiating down the front of my leg. I was told by a friend it could be trapped nerve. I'm not convinced. Could I have your view on this please.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi tinkerbell14,

I am sorry to hear about the pain you’re experiencing in the areas around your joints with arthritis.

It can be difficult, with arthritis, to be sure of exactly what is causing your pain because the way people experience pain can vary a lot. You may have heard of ‘referred pain’: this is pain brought on by a problem in one part of the body (e.g. the back) but experienced in a different part (e.g. the knee). Pain can also travel through the body for different reasons and one reason may be a trapped nerve, as your friend suggested.

The only way to find out for sure would be to visit the GP, who can listen to your symptoms and perhaps take a look and your joints and the places where you feel pain. If the GP can’t give a definite answer, he/she may refer you to a physiotherapist (who could assess you further and suggest exercises to relieve the pain) or for a test such as an MRI scan.

In the meantime, you may find it helpful to look at the Arthritis Care booklet, ‘Managing pain’: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/217-managing-pain.

I hope this response has helped and that you get a definite answer soon.

Best wishes,

Rachael, Helplines Worker