I'M SORRY I'VE NOT BEEN ONLINE FOR AGES.

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 8. Aug 2017, 11:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone
I'm sorry I've been AWOL You all know I had a replacement shoulder.
I've had lots of problems with my recovery. My shoulder is sore but not bad but my legs are dreadful. My mobility is awful. I can stand for about 5mins, walk for 4 or 5 steps and that's it.
I've been waiting for the results of an MRI I had done. Eventually it came through today [to the consultant]
His secretary and I both thought he would get me into the earliest clinic.......but NO she has been asked to write to my GP and ask her to refer me to a Neuro Surgeon or a Spinal Surgeon.
Haven't a clue what to expect.????

Once again sorry I haven't been on the forum

Love
Hileena

Comments

• TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No need to explain Hileena, but it's good to hear from you again. By the sounds of things you are going through some tough times right now.

The whole thing with the MRI and now having to go back to you're GP is just baffling to me, but then so is the inner workings of the NHS and has led most here to frustration. I myslef am waiting for a referral to see and orthopaedic surgeon for a arthroscopy.

Sending you my best wishes.

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply.....do yo ever think that we spend most of our time waiting for medical letters, appointments, going to appointments.!!!!!
    One of these days I'll open my diary and there wont be any medical appointments in it :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Lovely to see you posting but sorry you have been struggling whilst away.

I wonder if consultants think we cannot understand or manage to cope with their findings, how wrong they are!

Take care,
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I'm sorry things aren't too good for you, Hileena, but pleased that the shoulder seems OK.

If by 'consultant' you mean the shoulder guy, I'd assume that he, too, feels all is well with his handiwork (So far, so good) and any problems you now have lie elsewhere.

I think it all boils down to who pays. He seems to be suggesting that a new consultation with a neuro or spinal surgeon would be a good idea. However, I think if he were to refer you personally then the hospital would have to pay the costs whereas, if he sends you back to the GP and leaves it up to him, then your GP's surgery will pay.

You are, I suspect, pig in the middle. Hopefully, your GP will explain and clarify matters soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So sorry to hear that things are not going well. As for the referrals thing for about a year my local hospital trust stopped consultants from making referrals meaning that they had to be made by GPs who needed a letter from the consultant explaining the reason for the referral...problem is it depends on the consultant's admin being efficient in getting letters out. They have now reversed this...for how long who knows. However a lot of consultants will try to speed things up by making referrals for tests etc that will be needed by the new speciality.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh Hileena, I'm sorry to hear things have been so difficult for you. I'm wondering if the results of the MRI will guide who is the best person - spinal or neuro. Unfortunately, consultants can't always seem to refer to consultants which is beyond ridiculous and frustrating. I reckon your best bet is to get to your GP, get a copy of those results and request a referral based on this. I'm sorry you have to fight through the red tape though, last thing you need.

You also never need to apologise for not being here. I'm reminded of the quote about friends that says - something like - you don't need to see or speak to each other day but when you do get back together, it's as if you've never been apart.

Take gentle care.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Hileena, Good to see you popping by but wasn't expecting you to be back on for a while due to your shoulder operation. That's the new referral set up!! Any referrals have to go via G.P's now so only a G.P can ask for a referral. It's crazy and will mean it will take longer for a patient to get a referral appointment to see a new consultant.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    I know how much you are suffering with all the message we send one another :) ..has you might know I have seen a nero surgeon about this back , he was the one to send me for the scans, then offer an op ..but I have declined for now..I really do hope they can offer some help and ease that pain of yours..xx
    Sorry meant to say don't worry about not posting I don't come in LWA has much as I should.. :oops:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to hear from you and there's no need to apologise for not being around: you have a great deal going on and need peace and quiet. I understand the mobility troubles (been there and still doing that) and I hope that things will improve on that front as time passes: keep doing your exercises as best you can, keep heat / ice to hand, keep resting (anathema I know :wink: but essential :( ) and be kind to yourself. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    I did reply to your posts quite a while ago.......before Barbaras and DD's messages but it doesn't seem to have gone through....or has gone into cyber space :?
    Thank you all for your lovely messages and I'm sorry if my replies didn't get through to you.
    I do appreciate them

Love

Hileena
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

It sounds like things are a struggle again, I hope your new appointment comes through quickly.....whichever speciality it is! :oops: Glad to hear that the shoulder is progressing well.

Deb x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Deb
    My shoulder seems to be getting worse. Its getting stiffer. Finding it difficult to reach up to switch the light on. I got into the car today, just to sit behind the wheel and try the various levers etc.
    I couldn't get the key in the ignition. Used my left hand to move my right one over and help get it in. Difficult to use the wipers and other things so that is a step backwards :(
    I am doing my exercises before anyone asks :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi Hileena

It's one sep forward, two steps back with arthritis, and i'm sorry that this is happening, it does sound like a right struggle.

Hope you get that appointment soon.

Best wishes

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Oh dear Hileena, sounds like every day is a challenge. Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way ((((((( ))))).

Deb xxxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Deb

Hileena