Bone scan.

Options
Michebabes
Michebabes Member Posts: 5
edited 20. Aug 2017, 14:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya everyone.
I've been living with OA for years now but it is getting worse and more of my joints are getting worse. The thing is, I have to have a bone scan on the 31st August in which radioactive dye will be injected into my vein and then I have to wait for 2 to 3 hours for it to show up in my bones and then the scan will take about an hour and then I have to have a ct scan straight after. I am absolutely terrified! Has anyone else been through this and how did you get through it please? Thank you. Michelle.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I apologise for not replying sooner - and I don't think I can help much but here goes.

I have had scans that have involved dye being injected and not had any problems or troubles at all. None have been painful as such (my body protested about the various poses that had to be assumed) but that was all. I've had MRIs, CTs, two bone scans and numerous Xrays: all have been straightforward procedures.

Are you able to take anyone with you so you have some moral support? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Michebabes
    Michebabes Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hiya DD. Thank you for your reply. My husband is going to come with me. The thing is, even though I am a nurse, I am very afraid of needles, I have no problem giving them, but I just can't take them. It's not the pain, I'm in pain most of the time anyway. It's the feeling of them going in, I go hot and sweaty and feel sick and shaky. I know I have to have it done though so I'll go through it. I just hope it will be worth it in the long run. Thanks again.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have a friend who was a rheumatology nurse - she would happily ram needles of all sizes into anyone who was passing but the malarkey when it came to doing her meth injection was astonishing. I've met phlebos who can't tolerate having their blood taken - you're not alone in this fear.

I'm not fond of them, after years of blood tests I still can't look at what's happening, but I do my own injections simply because initially it saved me time (go to the hospital twice a week, hunt for parking then wait for ages for something that took less than fifteen seconds? I think not) and fuel money. I am not good with cannulas and appalling with aspirations but understood they were the necessary means to an end.

It's good you will have someone there and tell the staff that you are nervous - they need to know. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi, I've had to have MRI scans in the past which involved having dye injected. It wasn't a problem, but I'm not needle phobic! I seem to recall I had to stay in the clinic area for 15 minutes after and drink as much water as possible for the following 24 hours to flush the dye out of my system. Certainly didn't have any side effects.

With regards to the needles, could you have some "numbing cream" applied to the area? As you are a Nurse you are probably better aware than I am what would be available. And yes, please let them know in advance that you are needle phobic. I'm sure you'll not be the first to tell them this and you'll certainly not be the last!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!