Reactive arthritis

Options
HSD
HSD Member Posts: 2
edited 16. Aug 2017, 11:35 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with reactive arthritis in April of this year. I had a steroid injection which I thought had controlled the worse of it, but it returned with a vengeance 3 weeks ago and I can hardly move. It is largely in the base of my spine and my right knee.
I am getting increasingly scared about what I read on this condition, as I had been assured it was a short term (6-12 months) illness. However, given that I am in a second bout of this (much worse than the first), I wonder if anyone else here is also suffering from reactive arthritis?
I am taking some very low dose steroid tablets per day plus ibruprofen. I have to say, neither appear to be doing anything, so I wonder if I should just stop?
Any positive words or experience of this condition would be gratefully received.
Thank you for reading.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello HSD and welcome to the forums from the moderation team. I am very sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis of reactive arthritis.

There are definitely people who use this forum who have/have had the same condition.

I don’t know whether you have had time to look at our information on Reactive Arthritis? Here is the link if you haven’t:
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/236-reactive-arthritis

If you have a look you will see there are other medications in addition to those you are already taking which your rheumatologist may wish to prescribe. Another steroid injection may also be an option. In your shoes I would be getting in touch with your rheumatology team and asking to see someone unless you have an appointment due soon.

Here are a couple of threads which might be of interest to you:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47181&p=622020&hilit=reactive+arthritis#p622020

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47081&p=620406&hilit=reactive+arthritis#p620406

Best of luck and please do let us know how you get on.

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I don't have reactive arthritis (I have psoriatic and osteo which is why I'm here) but as I understand it's a kind that flares during or after an infection and, once it has subsided, stays away. It can, however, take some time to move on, is a blasted nuisance whilst it's there and can happen again if another infection is caught - have you had a second infection?

I think that steroids and ibuprophen are the usual meds but other options may be available - when do you next see your rheumatologist? They are the ones to deal with auto-immune arthritis rather than a GP.

I take two immuno-suppressant meds to control my PsA which means I have virtually no immune system; as a result I am very hot on hand hygiene, use anti-bac sprays and wipes both at home and out-and-about and ensure that my husband and guests are equally careful. I avoid people with coughs and colds (to the extent of not attending parties etc. and banning those who do from coming to see me Prevention is far better than cure so it may help you in the long-term to be very vigilant on such matters.

I hope things improve soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben