Crying at the doctors

WaitingPhoenix
WaitingPhoenix Member Posts: 18
edited 30. Aug 2017, 06:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I seemed to hit a new low yesterday, had a couple days of severe nausea and had to call in sick to work. As this was the second time within two weeks I've missed work for the same reason I decided to see the dr. He was actually really helpful and kind but as a result, when he asked me how I was generally in myself and whether I was happy in life I burst into tears. :roll: (Not my usual personal choice of only crying alone in bathrooms). So now he thinks I have mild depression.

Re: the nausea, he's given me some tablets, thinks it may be the meds I'm on, has taken yet more bloods and says if it doesn't improve to raise with the rheumatologist in a few weeks time when I next go. On a positive note I'm definitely feeling much less nauseous today so the tablets are helping and hopefully I'll be back at work tomorrow (not sure how to explain it to them at the mo, last time I just thought it was a stomach bug and wouldn't recur :oops: )

WP xx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh you poor thing! :(

If it's any consolation I often bawl at the Drs :oops: I wouldn't be there if something wasn't wrong, (or I could sort it myself), and the whole experience isn't for me. I often think they won't believe me or help with whatever is wrong.

I hope the anti-nausea tablets will help you and you won't have a reoccurrence of the problem.

If it's a weekly medication it can be easier to take on an evening before a non-work day??? If you decide to change days speak to your Rheumatology Nurse/helpline about how to change. Safety first :)

Sending you some ((()))

Toni xxx

Ps I would tell work the truth and that the Doc has given me some anti-nausea meds if they know about my arthritis. Honesty is the best policy I always think.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I doubt that there's anyone on here who hasn't cried in front of a doc or consultant, I know I have. Sometimes we don't realise how bad things are until someone asks a fairly innocent question. I was diagnosed with depression in 2011 after my OA was diagnosed and to this day I still take a low daily dose of an anti-dep. As my rheumatologist explained if I am stronger mentally then I can cope better physically and I agree. Continual pain and tiredness does have a deleterious effect on our whole being, there's no doubt about that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sure they're used to it even if you're not. I don't do tears. I reckon, in my adult life (I'm 71) I've cried at most 10 times. But, when I had to call my GP in when my hip 'went' completely, needing a THR, and he asked what exactly was the problem, I stood up, on one leg and said "I don't know how to line up my joints so that I can stand on the other leg." I think, at that point, I realised myself just how bad things were and that was it.

We put up with a lot routinely. Sometimes something has to give.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright