New to the Forum

penjP
penjP Member Posts: 2
edited 1. Sep 2017, 15:11 in Say Hello Archive
Hello I am new to the forum I am in my late 50's female and fairly fit.
After 3 years of pain in my left thumb I was finally diagnosed with Osteoarthritis last October the Xray showed it in the base of the thumb the next finger and under the finger nail of my right hand next to my thumb. I also have it in my right ankle.

I was referred for physio the Occupational Therapy for a while then signed off. In the past few months the pain has got a lot worse and is now constant in both my hands (nearly all joints) and my ankle. I cycle and do waters ports regularly to try and keep fit and keep my weight under control. My GP referred me to my local Rheumatology Clinic and I saw a consultant last week. He confirmed that I had arthritis, referring to my X rays from last year and noted it was now in my right thumb also, which I already knew! but did not say it was in any other finger joint or did not mention the Herberden node that I have (I googled this myself). I explained that the Co codomol I had been prescribed did not help my pain and suggested I starting taking Gabapentine 100mg for it.

Yesterday I received a copy of the letter sent to my GP in which he stated that I had impaired pain processing causing disproportionate pain. I was rather surprised that he has said this as I have always considered myself to have a high tolerance level to pain (I fractured my ankle badly skiing 5 years ago and did not have any pain relief for 7 hours after the accident, which required pins, plates and screws!) and have always tolerated pain well. I don’t know if it just me, but it seems that I need to man up about the pain and get on with it. I realise that at the moment my O/A is not considered too bad but do feel kind of on my own and not taken seriously and wondered whether this was normal.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi pen Welcome to the forum I too have OA and find it helpful to talk about it and try to understand what is happening to my body.This forum is great as everyone has a form of Arthritis so very up to date with advice.
    Just choose a forum and chat away.
    All the best Christine :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sorry you've had to join us (for your sake, not ours :lol: ). It sounds as if you have OA rather than an inflammatory form of arthritis and that the visit to the rheumatologist was to make sure which type you had. (Rheumatologists deal with the inflammatory forms of arthritis and GPs with osteo (OA). )

People with OA often feel a bit neglected. I think this is because not a great deal can be done by the docs. Pain relief, anti-inflammatories, physio - that's about it. The rest is up to us with lifestyle choices such as exercising as we can, a healthy diet, not smoking etc.

I think the 'disproportionate pain' bit was probably because you said the co-codamol wasn't touching the pain. Gabapentin is rather stronger. I don't think it's a matter of 'manning up'. It is what it is. We get used to a certain level of pain but how much things hurt will depend to some extent on how much, and how, we use that joint. Sometimes exercises can help to counteract an 'overused' joint but sometimes we have to learn to do things differently.

Heberden nodes are bony spurs that can occur with OA. The fact that you didn't mention it probably wouldn't have made any difference. Rheumatic nodules occur with RA and are different.

Please ask away if you have other questions. Posting on the Living With Arthritis forum usually guarantees more answers :wink: as more people look in there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright