Hello from a new member

NitroUK
NitroUK Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Sep 2017, 08:20 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Everyone,

My name's Glenn and I'm 46 from Dorset..

I have numerous medical conditions including Haemophillia Factor XIII that have caused my disability due to the spontaneous internal bleeds it gives me. These have caused degenerative L4-L5 prolapse, T4-T5 displaced, severe chronic nerve damage in lower back / hips, arthritis in my lower back / hips etc etc. Problems with elbows, shoulders in general (swelling, bleeds, stiffness) etc.

Being a Haemophilliac arthritis is part for the course in any joint that bleeds because once you've had a bleed in an area it then is prone to re bleed.

My reason for joining is because in the last few weeks I've noticed that my fingers have been getting stiff and creaky when I try and make a fist shape. Also I'm getting what looks like small pockets of fluid appearing between the bone and skin just below the finger tip joints.. The worst affected fingers seem to be both index fingers 1st followed by thumbs and then ring fingers.

I'm going to make an appointment with my gp to confirm and will take some photos of the swellings on my mobile phone but wanted to join to try and get some advice / tips so I can start to help it before my fingers get super bad..

Best wishes Glenn W.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Glenn,

Lovely to meet you, people don't realise that one condition often leads to others as a side effect, so to speak.

Taking pictures of swollen joints is a good idea so your GP can see just what you are describing. Heat and massage are two things I find helpful with my hands when they are stiff and painful.

Lots of members have problems with hands and fingers so advice will being forthcoming, your GP is key, and maybe physio will help too

Take care

Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Glenn and welcome from me too. You have a lot going on and it must all be very difficult and frustrating.

There are all sorts of tactics that can be used to help hand / fingers from basic exercises https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/exercise-and-arthritis to splints and simply bathing them in warm water. However, your haemophilia might make some of these things unsuitable for you so I think a word with your GP might be your best option. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright