Travelling with a painful back

charrisse
charrisse Member Posts: 89
edited 23. Sep 2017, 02:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I wondered if anyone has some ideas about how to make travel more viable when suffering from a very painful back?
I would love to be able to go on a few days holiday somewhere that's a little way away from my home .. my last holiday was quite a few years ago now so any ideas would be gratefully received :D

schair
All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My back is one of the few good bits of me so I can't really help from experience. I guess it's such an individual thing. Will you be travelling by car / rail / coach / air? Whichever form of transport, some seats are more comfortable than others. I usually get the most comfortable seat when on a train as I'm sitting in my wheelchair. On roads, so much depends on the driver too and how gentle they are or aren't.

How far, and how, do you travel with any regularity? How much further do you feel you could reasonably go?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • charrisse
    Thanks for your post stickywicket .. but as I pointed out I haven't been on holiday for a few years now so I'm looking for how people cope with their travelling.
    The holidays that I used to do were usually at Christmas time when I would go on a cruise which meant travelling to Southampton by coach and the last time I did that I was in absolute agony with my back pain despite taking regular doses of morphine and had to spend the first few days in bed and that was several years ago.
    These days I can hardly travel anywhere and I will be in a great deal of pain .. but I wanted to know how others get on and what sort of things they may have found a help.

sdrink ever hopeful!

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • stickywicket
    I guess Norwich (where I see you live) to Southampton would, indeed, be a long journey for a bad back. They say a change is as good as a rest - how about just staying at the local coast for a while? Could you manage that? There are some beautiful places in Suffolk too, which is flat. Or, could you just stay with a friend for a week or so and then reciprocate?
    Steven Wright
  • charrisse
    Good idea Sw but first of all as sad as it may seem .. I don't have any friends apart from 1 or 2 people who are a lot younger than me that I met when I used to go line dancing and we now just send the festive cards.
    That was the great thing about the cruises as no matter where you sat or when, the other cruisers would inevitably include you in their conversations so it would be like one big happy family. :lol:

I really hate being at home on my own over the Christmas period as it brings back so many bad memories .. :(

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Charrisse I am really sorry to read that you are struggling to travel. I am now assuming that your comment regarding lone Christmas that you do not have relatives close to you?

There are quite a few places that support disabled, elderly and lone people over such periods, I am not sure just what you feel about these type of charities, they provide an amazing service.

Some of the charities assist with travel and even give you someone to help as well as equipment that may be necessary. Plus there are hotels who are very sympathetic and offer excellent services. I know your issue is the travel but perhaps they could help with that also. Worth a try?

Hope you manage to do something
    with love

Denise XX
  • stickywicket
    Well, you're making an early start on trying to sort something out for Christmas and that has to be good. Have you thought of booking into a hotel somewhere? One or two of our friends do that simply because they prefer it. I'm sure some such dos could be noisy and sleep might be difficult but most hotels have a quieter side and, as you'd be booking early, you'd be giving yourself the best chance of getting it.

I did a spot of googling and I see both Saga and AgeUK do Christmas breaks of all sorts, particularly AgeUK.

http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/when-to-go/christmas-breaks.aspx

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/products/holidays--travel/
    Steven Wright
  • charrisse
    moderator wrote:
    Charrisse I am really sorry to read that you are struggling to travel. I am now assuming that your comment regarding lone Christmas that you do not have relatives close to you?

There are quite a few places that support disabled, elderly and lone people over such periods, I am not sure just what you feel about these type of charities, they provide an amazing service.

Some of the charities assist with travel and even give you someone to help as well as equipment that may be necessary. Plus there are hotels who are very sympathetic and offer excellent services. I know your issue is the travel but perhaps they could help with that also. Worth a try?

Hope you manage to do something
    with love

Denise XX

Thanks Denise .. I don't have any family close by .. my youngest daughter lives in Sheffield and the oldest in Ireland both of them are usually very busy over the holidays I wouldn't want to bother them .. and that's a long story :roll:

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • charrisse
    Well, you're making an early start on trying to sort something out for Christmas and that has to be good. Have you thought of booking into a hotel somewhere? One or two of our friends do that simply because they prefer it. I'm sure some such dos could be noisy and sleep might be difficult but most hotels have a quieter side and, as you'd be booking early, you'd be giving yourself the best chance of getting it.

I did a spot of googling and I see both Saga and AgeUK do Christmas breaks of all sorts, particularly AgeUK.

http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/when-to-go/christmas-breaks.aspx

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/products/holidays--travel/

I'm all for a bit of noise in the shape of music and the like Sw ..thanks for the links .. I do like the look of the Saga venues thank you :P

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hello Charisse :)

Good to see your name. :)

I take painkillers and anti-inflams prior to journeys and of course supplies with me. If I am in a car I stop to get out and move around for a while. I do not go in my husband's vehicle as it hurts my back even going into town!

If on trains it would be easier I would book a seat and get up and move about on the train form time to time.

The other thing I have is a click heat: Google it if you can

It's like a wheatbag, but heats up by clicking a metal thing in it so it doesn't need a microwave :) Perfect for travelling! When you can you warm it in a pan of boiling water to 'reset' it.

It would do you a lot of good to have a break ((()))

Love

Toni xx