Working long hours on my feet in Retail

Options
Weniki13
Weniki13 Member Posts: 4
edited 26. Sep 2017, 06:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
I work in retail and iPhone launch day worked 11 1/2 hrs straight with no break but have not been to a dr to be diagnosed with RA which I’m most positive that I have after much research and coming home every night to a hot bath and foot soak along with as manny meds to try and help relieve the pain. I also use a heating pad daily. They think I’m just complaining and say “yeah my feet ache too”. Well I have at least 10 yrs on all of them and some I’m 20 yrs their elder. I have worked in retail for 26 yrs now with the past 10 being on my feet after they did away with our desks and the ability to sit and help the customer. I believe my symptoms have gotten much worse. Could this all be a cause of RA? If so and I finally get my diagnosis, should I continue in retail? I don’t feel like doing anything when I come home but get off of my feet. Now my knees and hands are stiff, swollen and achy on a daily basis. This job is killing me. I’m close to retirement (at age 55...I will be 49 this Dec) but don’t think I can make it through all of the holiday hours. What are some of your suggestions? This is all new to me. I’ve been healthy all of my life until this bone and joint pain. I went to the orthopedic dr and have a large ganglion cyst which I’ve had for 8 yrs and now have 2 bone spurs on top of that on my big toe and need surgery for that. Is this job doing this to me? I’ve always been so active and have never had surgery of any sort. I feel like I’m too young to feel like this daily.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    R.A. is an autoimmune disease and no amount of standing on your feet all day can cause it. The cause(s) are, as yet, undetermined but there is usually a genetic factor and then a precipitating one. If your parents, grandparents or siblings have an autoimmune disease you are more likely to develop one.

There is only one way to find out - get a proper diagnosis. Your GP might do a blood test to start with but they are not always conclusive. Only a rheumatologist can tell for sure if you have one of the many autoimmune forms of arthritis or if you have OA. If the latter, your GP will treat you and, if the former, the rheumatologist.

Being on your feet a lot will aggravate any kind of arthritis but, with a proper diagnosis, your workplace will have to make allowances for you whichever type you have. So, I suggest a visit to the GP to start with and get things in motion. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright