Rheumatology appointment.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Oct 2017, 08:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am still on the humira and meth combo - hurrah! Around seven - eight weeks ago I had twenty three swollen and painful joints due to a flare. I saw the rheumatology physio and she wanted to see me again to see if the H&M had gotten things back under control: today we were down to eight 'ouches' and one swollen (which surprised me, in fact I can't remember what or where it is).

She was very pleased to hear that I have begun work with a personal trainer and we had a good chat about how the aches and pains caused by exercise were not aggravating the arthritis, more that the pain is the working of the muscles and tendons which haven't been properly stretched or used for some time but that it is entirely reasonable for the patient to fear that they are making the matters worse. In fact the worst thing we can do is not move around enough, not exercise appropriately or properly.

I have continued with the unaided walking around the block and my confidence with that is certainly growing. On Monday morning I managed to do just over a mile - yes there has been payback but that is to be expected. I am learning as I go along and must take my own advice viz. stop when I think I can do more :wink: I am improving at my stretches, reaching further, lower and holding poses for longer - in fact I am still surprising myself with what I have and can achieve. Tomorrow's session kicks off at 7.30am :D - DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD, I am so pleased to hear that your appointment went so well as I remember how worried you were last time, and as for the walking that is wonderful. You must be so pleased that all your hard work is paying off and I bet your personal trainer is pleased too.
    You might not like me saying this but you really are an inspiration.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    A mile? A MILE :o Deep respect, DD. No wonder your rheumatologist is pleased with you. That is serious exercise and serious progress.

We all know that 'the worst thing we can do is not move around enough, not exercise appropriately or properly' but so often lack the motivation. (Oh yes. Me too. I might bang on about exercise but trying to get back into the swing after a chest infection that took all my energy is no easy peasy thing.)

I admire your determination, your persistence and, yes, your 'serious athlete' start time :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Blimey DD you are doing well and its all down to your determination..you go girl.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for your kind replies, they are much appreciated. More progress to report - crikey! We have agreed that I can move from two half-hour sessions per week to a one hour slot which, with careful pacing, I am sure I can manage.

When I was working as a private tutor I would do my best to ensure that my clients could see me at a time to suit them: as I saw it they were paying for my knowledge and time so that was fair. How times have changed, the most convenient time for her to see me is now 7.15am. Yes, I am better / brighter in the mornings but that's gonna test me (and hopefully not write off the rest of the day on a regular basis). DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    In a few weeks' time it'll be an all-morning session with hurdles at this rate :wink:

You're doing great. But do acquaint her with the concept of morning stiffness for when the PsA bites.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Wow DD, you are doing fantastically well- what a determined lady you are! I hope the longer/early session work well for you!

I walked the dog for about 25 minutes this morning then went to my easy line gym session, but rather backed out of the last 15 minutes of the 1 hour slot as the knees and ankles were grumbling too much.

Being active definitely helps me to feel better about myself, but I'm now in my armchair with a mug of tea trying to fight off the urge to snooze :oops: . Now I wait to see if the jangly nerves will pay back....

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Sticky, I regularly explain about stiffness, pain and the causes of pain but it's not sinking in to her very pretty little head: this is because she is young, lithe, supple and naïve, none of which is her fault. :) She was surprised to discover that once fluid is drained it can come back, her thinking was along the lines of when it's gone it's gone (a child of our times, indeed).

Thank you, dibdab, I don't think I am but after noticing a difference in my mobility after a fairly active summer (by my low standards) I wanted to capitalise on it and I think I am going the right way about doing so. Regarding the urge to snooze I don't fight it . . . unlike The Spouse who can doze anywhere I have to go and lie down to get the true benefit. :wink: DD