Hello from north of the wall

Kelpie
Kelpie Member Posts: 3
edited 6. Oct 2017, 04:59 in Say Hello Archive
Hi there, after about 30 years of suffering with a 'bad back' i had an MRI scan I have been diagnosed with DISH Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis. Im just glad that I now know what is wrong with me, and am now trying to find out how to live with this, and try and stop it getting much worse. I got phiso, and have good exercises that help a lot, but want to increase my fitness levels and lose a bit of weight to help things. At the moment I dont really know what I can and cant do, and am wary of doing anything that might make things worse.
hopefully I can contribute to others and get some pointers from folk who have the same condition.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Kelpie and welcome to the Arthritis Care forums.

Good news that you have a diagnosis after such a long time - I had to look up the information about Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis on the website as I wasn't sure what it was :D

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/a-z-of-types/51-diffuse-idiopathic-skeletal-hyperostosis

The site also has some good advice on keeping fit and eating a healthy diet. Its probably best to be guided by your GP or medical professional who knows you as to what range activities you can and can't do.

Do keep us all up to date on how you are doing.

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello and welcome to the creaky gang. I have no knowledge about what ails you but Brynmor has given you good advice and all of us on here can empathise with discomfort, pain and varying levels of tiredness. I wish you well and look forward to learning more about your condition. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Kelpie and welcome from me, too. I'd never heard of it either but, looking at the link, it doesn't sound great. Good on you for doing the exercises. I guess losing weight will depend on your preferred method but, if you're trying to use exercise to lose it, I'd check first with the physio that the exercises are OK for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kelpie
    Kelpie Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all your supportive comments, the only real restriction I have on exercise is that I can only do low impact stuff, but I really like walking and there are loads of nice walks where I live, so thats great, and one I found a bit strange is that golf is apparently really good for keeping everything moving, without doing any damage. I do play (or more accurately whack golf balls in strange directions) when I am able which I am grateful for as I realise that lots of folk on here couldn't even contemplate swinging a golf club.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It seems you're doing all the right things so all power to your elbow :wink: Swimming and cycling are usually considered good for arthritis too. As for whacking golf balls in the wrong direction - I have a husband and two sons who know exactly what you mean :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It sounds to me, Kelpie, as though you are playing golf properly - who cares about holes-in-one or being a shot or two under-par? (Mind you, I for one am under par on a daily basis :wink: ).

In my view dieting is a straightforward affair. Eat less of what we know to be bad for us, eat more of what we know to be good / better for us and move around more - it ain't rocket science. I don't think that omitting whole food groups is good for anyone, our bodies need a balance of nutrients and vitamins to help it work to its best ability, regardless of how compromised it might be due to our various conditions. Keep whacking those balls! :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben