Methotrexate

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 5. Oct 2017, 06:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

On my last appointment I was told that I may be put on to Methotrexate as well as sulfasalazine, as I have not noticed much benefit with just sulfasalazine.

I was just wondering what people's experiences were when taking methotrexate? I mainly have pain in my back, hips and wrists.

Has anyone found that it works well combined with sulfasalazine?

I have also heard different things about fertility and just wondered whether it can affect you in the future or if it is just when a person is pregnant they should not take it.

Thank you for any advice x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I took tablet methotrexate with sulph and it didn't achieve anything for me arthritis-wise but it did help to keep my skin clear of psoriasis (I have psoriatic arthritis). If you want to conceive then you have to stop taking the meth for some months beforehand so it clears your system: like many of the DMARDs it can harm a foetus. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Rog
    Rog Member Posts: 24
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I took tablet methotrexate with sulph and it didn't achieve anything for me arthritis-wise but it did help to keep my skin clear of psoriasis (I have psoriatic arthritis). If you want to conceive then you have to stop taking the meth for some months beforehand so it clears your system: like many of the DMARDs it can harm a foetus. DD

Im only on the meth currently and have been taking it for 7 doses now last being today 15mg im up to now per week, no real side effects though but i do feel symptoms are worse instead of better, other joints are flaring up that werent before, this morning (before meth) i had severe pain in both ankles and could just about hobble to get my bloods taken but thankfully the painkillers kicked in and im now able to move without screaming so much, im a man of 38 and i broke down in the house earlier, its such a frustrating disease to have.

Any tips of what did work for you?

I waffled there a bit didnt i lol
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    I've never taken sulf but I've done methotrexate with hydroxychloroquine for many years and the only effects are good.

DD is quite right about stopping it several months before trying to conceive. I don't think it affects fertility at all, only potentially the foetus.

Rog, unfortunately 7 weeks might not be long enough for it to kick in. It might take longer or it might require another med to go with it.

And, yes, it's the sort of pain that can make a grown man cry. You're by no means the first and won't be the last. But it does take a proper man to admit it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright