Ankle Fusion

Carlos
Carlos Member Posts: 5
edited 27. Dec 2017, 10:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
One of my options is an Ankle Fusion. Is it possible to immobilise your ankle externally using ankle braces ? Has anyone tried it ? has it been successful? Can anyone recommend the best brace to achieve maximum rigidity please. regards Carlos

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi Carlos

the best brace would be to totaly imobilise your ankle , the problem you will find is that with joint damage you will end up compensation for the joint & can cause other joint problems , also leaving it to long can cause soft tissue problems if the joint is swelling

talk to your consultant & they can put you in touch with someone to make a brace just for you

this happened at the time I had my first ankle fused , they use a air boot now afterwards from 6 weeks on but then they gave me a boot that just made it worse but made me a leather brace before surgery & that worked very well
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The best person to ask about this would be your orthopaedic surgeon but I've never heard of it. I don't see how it could work.

My own ankles fused themselves because they didn't do much ankle surgery back then. I was extremely lucky in that they fused in a good position but it took at least 30 very painful years.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dalek
    dalek Member Posts: 32
    trepolpen wrote:
    hi Carlos

the best brace would be to totaly imobilise your ankle , the problem you will find is that with joint damage you will end up compensation for the joint & can cause other joint problems , also leaving it to long can cause soft tissue problems if the joint is swelling

talk to your consultant & they can put you in touch with someone to make a brace just for you

this happened at the time I had my first ankle fused , they use a air boot now afterwards from 6 weeks on but then they gave me a boot that just made it worse but made me a leather brace before surgery & that worked very well
    I had my left ankle fused on 6th December. I got dis-charged from hospital the next day which was too soon.
    Anyhoo. . 3 wks on and I still finding I have to keep it elevated. I am supposed to be working from home from 2nd Jan.
    How long was yours uncomfortable?
    Did you find it difficult in the airboot? I told work I would borrow an auto car and start going to office once plaster off.
    I have arthritis damage in the other ankle and don't want to strain it.

Sent from my Signature Touch using Tapatalk