A strange event

Options
jennand
jennand Member Posts: 131
edited 10. Oct 2017, 06:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Late afternoon yesterday I had a back, neck & leg massage during an overnight in a hotel. Felt fine during & after and then had dinner with a glass of wine & water. During the night I needed the bathroom but felt very hot & sweaty so sat on the closed toilet. I had a drink of water from a metal water flask in my hand. From then on I remember nothing. My daughter was asleep in the bedroom, heard the flask drop and came in to find me unresponsive, slumped against the wall. She thought I had had a stroke as my mouth seemed drooped but I think it was because I was slumped at an angle. I came round to hear her asking reception for an ambulance but I managed to stop this as I thought I had just fallen asleep. I was still extremely hot & sweaty but other than that felt “normal”. I did manage to sleep later but she didn’t, she was scared. She said I was so unresponsive, she thought I was dead. Now, I’m not one to shrug anything off if I feel I’ll, but I’m fine today if a little sluggish. I went down to the spa & the manager suggested it could be my meds’ that had an exaggerated effect because of the deep tissue massage and I have to say this sounds logical albeit puzzling why it took 10 hrs to manifest. Might be something to do with the half life of the meds. Has anyone else had this extreme response? It’s put me off massages now. My daughter is very upset as she arranged the whole thing as a treat for me.

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    TBH I would suspect the meds with the massage too.

Also If you had MG (myasthenia gravis) that reaction or similar would be expected.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi jennand
    I am thinking it could have been something to do with the neck massage, you have large arteries in your neck and if to much pressure is put on it can be dangerous..so make sure next time, if there is one tell them to go gently on your neck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When we wake in the night our BP is already low and BP routinely drops when we urinate so that equals a double-whammy on that front. One can feel hot, sweaty and clammy before this happens - it's happened to me. After my sports massage (which is always very painful) I drink at least one pint of water to help my body get over what's been done to it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jennand
    Options
    palo wrote:
    TBH I would suspect the meds with the massage too.

Also If you had MG (myasthenia gravis) that reaction or similar would be expected.

No MG, I have RA, also on Gabapentin for neuralgia in my feet.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, how are you feeling now? I hope the last few days have passed without incident. DD
  • jennand
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, how are you feeling now? I hope the last few days have passed without incident. DD
    Thanks for asking Dreamdaisy. I have had no further repercussions thankfully. Although the night after I didn’t sleep much, I think I was frightened it could happen again. I won’t have any more massages though.
  • Lady3106
    Lady3106 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi, I hope you are back to yourself now? Just to let you know I had a similar experience a few months ago. No massage only thing I can think was I was very tired that evening. Happened just the same as yours, took me 15-20 mins to come round. Ambulance by then was on it's way. No answers, couple of hours in hospital and back home. I was very tired and felt weak the next few days. I have been fine since but do make sure if I get up through the night I sit on edge of bed and try to get all the blood flowing before making a move.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am pleased that it hasn't happened again but I'm not sure whether the massage was at fault. I used to have a regular sports massage (none of your beauty tickly stuff going on with that, it hurt) and would always rest after for an hour or so and consume at least one pint of water (usually two) as my masseur recommended. It was an effective method of temporarily removing the inflammation in my joints, the key word being temporarily. Once we have an arthritic issue going on it is natural to attribute everything else that happens to that but I don't think that's the case: dross happens because it can, regardless of what else is occurring. DD