MRI scan - pocket duties required

Options
TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 25. Oct 2017, 13:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a nice surprise today, in that I got a letter from my hospital with an appointment for my MRI scan on the 23rd of this month. Not bad, considering I saw the consultant only on monday, however there is a good reason for this - it's at a private clinic.

I'm in no way complaining, but it's a shame that more and more services are going private, even when my local hospital has a perfectly adequate MRI unit :roll:.

So if any of you can attend on the 23rd of this month at 11:40, it will be of a help. As this will be a long scan, 30 minutes, make sure to bring a flask of tea/biscuits etc :D

Alastair
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'll be there. Don't get me started on how the NHS is being run down. Your local hospital probably has the machinery but can't afford the staff.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    By then I shall be in/at Lake Garda but I shall be thinking of you. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I will be there Alastair..I couldn't believe that the knee scan I had was done by a private company at our local clinic.what on earth is going on..I think between us we could do a better job of running the NHS..
    Love
    Barbara
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    Thank you all
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Count me in, one of the benefits of having a dodgy knee is you are not fed all the way in to the tunnel - well, I wasn't. They are noisy, I was given headphones but no choice of music as is offered to others. The detail a scan can reveal is amazing, far better than Xrays. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Count me in, I'm a veteran of MRIs
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    Just a reminder for my MRI on monday at 11am.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Count me in for Monday Alastair. Ask them to feed you in feet first. Lucy had her hips done yesterday and was in for 40 mins....and promptly went to sleep.

Looking forward to hearing your results :) Getting Lucy's on Tuesday.

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Absolutely will be there, tea, biscuits, fruit cake, the works. Definitely feet first, it makes no odds to the imaging, which way round they do the scan.

Glad it is a super quick appointment, even if it is using the private health care unit. I had better not go on a soap box about the NHS, a lot of hospitals have MRI units and no staff to run them, which is absurd and totally wrong. OK, I will shush.

Take care X Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    Thanks for those who managed to attend, I did go in feet fisrt before you all ask :D

Everything went smoothly, well, my appointment was delayed by an hour, but this was down to a couple of emergencies they had to deal with, glad I took a book with me. Also, my legs were strapped down (to stop them moving), but the strap was pressing on my bad knee, so it's aching a lot now and i'm limping a bit :roll:

My consultant will get the results within a week, so i'm expecting an appointment in the next few weeks to discuss results, next steps etc.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hope you don't have to wait too long for the resulrs.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Good to hear that things went smoothly, even if a little delayed. Hope the aching knee improves asap and the results are helpful, take care x Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm pleased it's done and I hope the results come through sooner rather than later. I remember my first one on my left knee, it was too fat to fit in the supporting cradle so they removed that: it was still too fat so they squashed it in, little by little. It moving was not an issue. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    I am sorry your knee was hurt by the scan Alastair, but very glad to hear you went in feet first and that it is DONE!!

Well done I hope it gives the surgeon the information he/she needs to sort your knee out.

Love

Toni xx
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    Maybe i'm been too optomistic as to what the scan will show (i.e i'll require surgery), as my consultant may end up saying it's not needed/necessary.