Methotrexate or Hydrox??

Options
Taratemperance
Taratemperance Member Posts: 23
edited 9. Oct 2017, 10:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I was given Sulfasalazine as my first Dmard in Sep but the horrendous side effects made me stop them after 8 days. Now I have another appt with Rheumatologist Nurse on 19th Oct & been sent info on Methotrexate & Hydroxy.

Can anyone share with me which would have least likely side effects please? I do appreciate that we all respond to meds differently but I'm new to this and all info greatly received.

Many thanks x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Probably hydroxy because it's probably the mildest of the DMARDS but that means the methotrexate is more likely to help the arthritis. I take both (no side effects). Hydroxy is more often than not prescribed alongside others. I've had no problems with either. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Taratemperance
    Taratemperance Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you Stickywicket, have you ever tried Sulfasalazine? Can you recall roughly how long it took the dmards to give you some respite from pain?

Many thanks :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've never done sulf. Unfortunately, I've been on meth and hydroxy for so many years now I can't remember how long it took but, even if I could, that would be of no help to you as we're all different and meds take different times to work with different people. We're always asked, with DMARDS, to allow 3 months.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Evie
    Evie Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi all,

I was given Sulfasalazine as my first Dmard in Sep but the horrendous side effects made me stop them after 8 days. Now I have another appt with Rheumatologist Nurse on 19th Oct & been sent info on Methotrexate & Hydroxy.

Can anyone share with me which would have least likely side effects please? I do appreciate that we all respond to meds differently but I'm new to this and all info greatly received.

Many thanks x

Hi Tara

I have tried sulfasalazine but had an allergic reaction within a week and had to come off it - I am very reactive to medication so probably not the best person to advise now tried methotrexate, leflunomide and azathioprine so far - if you try 2 or more then you would probably be offered one of the biologics? It seems to be a very personal thing - Good luck - important to get your inflammation markers down before joints become damaged

Evie xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sulph was my first DMARD and it did very little for the arthritis whereas a friend of mine (who, like me, has psoriatic arthritis) is wonderfully controlled and pain-free on six tablets per day. I began the meds five years too late for them to make a noticeable difference, the arthritis had a real hold by then and the damage was done. I am sure that the quicker the diagnosis and starting the meds the better and more comfortable the outcome can be. The meds are very much a matter of trial and error but I can say that side-effects-wise I've had very little trouble. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I began on hydroxyl, then added in sulphasalazine and later methotrexate! I think as SW said the hydroxyl is mildest and has no side effects for me. Sulph gives me intermittent tummy troubles and an occasional sore mouth, but both recede if I miss a few doses :?
    I don't get on too well with meth, it's effective but leaves me wiped out for 24/48 hours after. I've tried gold injections (failed) and currently take a combination of hydroxyl, sulph and leflunomide-so far so good !

We do all indeed react differently to meds, I read some evidence from USA to suggest that a cocktail of DMARD's is more effective than a single drug, but I'm sure many of us have taken a while to find the right combination for us as individuals. I hope your next rheumy appointment goes well and moves you forward.

Deb x