Falling over!!!

Options
SandiB
SandiB Member Posts: 22
edited 10. Oct 2017, 05:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
I keep falling over!!! I have a recent PsA diagnosis following MRI of my hands. I get pain in my foot, toes and hip and awaiting further MRI to determine if it’s the PsA. Recently I keep tripping up and landing in both knees and my sore hands!! Does anyone else have experience of this? Am I just clumsy or is it because of pain maybe I don’t walk properly??

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have PsA which affects my knees and OA which affects them plus my ankles and hips. Many years ago in the early days my left knee would suddenly give way and I soon learned to pay much more attention to how and where I was moving. If it is painful to move that can affect how we pick up our feet which makes tripping over next-to-nothing much easier to do. Are you tripping or is a joint suddenly giving way? Was this happening prior to diagnosis? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • SandiB
    SandiB Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi DD
    I am definitely tripping and it's happened a few times in the last 3 months. I think it must be me not walking properly, can't seem to save myself and end up flat on my face!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think pain alters the way we move as we try to reduce the levels we feel. We do this unconsciously and in turn that throws other joints out of kilter leading to further troubles. It's a lose-lose situation (as many aspects of dealing with arthritis are).

I know from experience that it pays to be more alert as I move around, I have two major trip hazards in the sitting room in the form of two large rugs and I always make the extra effort to lift my feet higher, the same with the one in the hall. When walking outdoors I am very vigilant for loose or uneven paving slabs, wet leaves are a great aid to skidding (as is ice) and rain ain't that friendly either as surfaces can become rather slick after a dry spell. The days of idly strolling along, taking in the view, are long gone. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I can't relate to this at all. My RA quickly progressed from hands to feet. I recall a lot of pain but no stumbling. In fact, I probably stumble less than most as I've always had to be so careful where and how I plant my feet. Are you wearing sensible (ie boring) shoes? Slip-ons are not great for security.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright