Swallowing capsules

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 17. Oct 2017, 04:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
For anyone who struggles to swallow them.

Many years of unsolicited, undesired and unwelcome research has taught me that, with capsules, any capsule for any condition, the darker end is invariably the one that overlaps the other. So anyone with swallowing difficulties should point this end down their throat to make life fractionally easier.

In my youth, which I can just about remember, I could swallow gobstoppers unintentionally - and occasionally did - but arthritis and NSAIDS have put paid to that. Obviously, this method only works with capsules and, indeed, only with two-tone capsules (ie not many brands of omeprazole) but I was reminded to share my discovery by my current antibios which were, I suspect, designed for either crocodiles or maybe snakes which can dislocate their jaws to swallow. I am neither (whatever anyone may say :wink: ) but this method does get them down.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Some medications can be daunting when it comes to getting them down the gullet, there's no doubt about that; the trouble with capsules is they cannot be cut but they do tend to be more 'slippery' than tablets which, for me, makes them easier to deal with. I recall your saying before that the darker end tends to overlap the paler and have always followed that rule.

My cocos usually come as capsules but, on the odd occasion they are in tablet form I find them much harder to take as they are so dry. I confess that I am naughty, I dry-swallow everything then take a good glug of water to wash it all down. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    Options
    I would add that taking a sip of water (or whatever you're drinking) before putting the tablet in your mouth helps as it gets everything lubricated and your throat ready to swallow again (that might be obvious and common knowledge though).

Also, a personal pet peeve is when people throw their head back as they swallow tablets - your throat is designed to swallow in its normal position; looking up actually constricts it! And gravity isn't going to do anything in your mouth/throat - we can still swallow things even when upside down!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I can swallow capsules no bother but round pills are difficult for me.Who discovered the thing about the capsules ?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think that was Sticky, Mig, she's had years of practice! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    She's a trend setter.