Just diagnosed and Hydroxychloroquine

Options
SarLoWills
SarLoWills Member Posts: 14
edited 25. Oct 2017, 12:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, Ive just been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis.

My question is about how people have felt on Hydroxychloroquine. Ive only been on it a few days and I feel terrible! Stomach cramps and nausea. Ive been taking it with food. I also feel fluey. Along with the arthritis, I have Ulcerative Colitis. So stomach cramps are not good news for me. .. I really can’t function like this. Is this how it goes? (I have left a message for my rheumatology nurse, but no reply yet)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear I am sorry, you are having a rough time aren't you? I don't know whether the med could be causing this or whether you have caught a bug - have you checked your temperature? I have not taken hydroxy, it is one of the milder DMARDs and all of them can upset the body for a while until it adjusts to the medication. You have done the right thing in contacting your rheumatology unit, I hope you hear from them soon and things ease for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • SarLoWills
    Options
    Thank you for replying. Definitely not a bug, I haven’t taken them today and I feel much better for it! Still no reply from the nurse but I appreciate thy are busy.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You're more than welcome, I'm sorry I couldn't help. DMARDs work by suppressing the immune system so they are strong medications; my first one was sulphasalazine which caused tremendous bruising from the waist down (which looked very odd) but after six weeks that eased. I have been blessed with not being troubled that much by side effects from any of the meds I have tried. DD
  • SarLoWills
    Options
    Just heard from nurse. I’m going to take a few days break and then reintroduce them slowly and in the evening with my meal. Fingers crossed!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm pleased she returned your call and that sounds like a sensible plan. When I began the sulph it was one tablet in the morning for a week, then one morning and evening for a week, then two in the morning one in the evening for a week and so it went on until I reached three twice a day. I hope the hydroxy is kinder to you next time around. DD
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    question , do you take sulphasalazine for Ulcerative Colitis , we take it for Rheumatiod Arthritis , normaly 4 tablets a day & some take it along with other drugs like Hydroychloruquine & methotrexate
  • SarLoWills
    Options
    I take mesalazine for the UC. Is it a similar drug? I was told it was ok to have with the Hydroxychloroquine.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Mesalazine is an aminosalicylate whereas sulphasalzine is a DMARD. Mesalazine is suitable for UC but, as far as I know, is not used in treating auto-immune arthritis. DD
  • Courtney1234
    Courtney1234 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi.

I was taking hydroxychloriquine back in June for a type of arthritis that is yet to be diagnosed. And just like you I felt absolutely awful on them. Within days of taking the medication I was having really bad headaches, then came out in skin rashes and then had mouth ulcers!! I also had a blood test and it showed that my liver was not happy!! The range for my LFT (liver function test) was between 20-33 and my function was 113!!! No wonder I felt so ill!! My liver can be quite naughty at times as it is with my function raising but this was he highest it's ever been.

I was only on the medication just over a month, and unfortunately I had to come off it. Definitely keep in contact with your rheumatology team to update them on your symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon.

Courtney x
  • Dragonfly17
    Dragonfly17 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    I have been on Hydroxychloroquine for a year now, in the beginning I had terrible problems with nausea and upset stomach. I had been taking two tablets after my evening meal; it was suggested I take one twice a day with a meal (breakfast and supper time), this has worked very well for me, the upset stomach has gone completely and the nausea is only very occasionally - which I am able to cope with. I do hope you get your meds and dosage sorted soon as I know how debilitating it can be. Good luck.
  • WhaleRoad
    WhaleRoad Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi. Sorry you're going through this. I had crippling stomach cramps when I started hydroxychloroquine, followed by vomiting. That lasted about a week and then I had a lot of IBS-type symptoms for several months but were nothing I couldn't live with. I also had headaches and itching, and some mood swings. I don't want to put you off, but rather reassure you that the side effects do go away eventually and I got an enormous benefit from the drug for about a year. Good luck - I hope it works out for you.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, how are things going now? I hope you are feeling better / brighter. DD
  • SarLoWills
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I’m sorry I haven’t been back sooner. I’m just starting to try them again. Alternate days and with my evening meal. I’m not enjoying taking them, if you can enjoy taking meds! I feel lousy on them and am glad of the days I don’t have to take one. Not sure what to do. I’d be happy not taking them at all but in the long run that isn’t good is it?