Gabapentin

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 19. Oct 2017, 14:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw my GP last week and he made all the reccomended referrals to the local physiotherapy team and to the pain management team at Barts.
He also prescribed Gabapentin for me as the pain consultant recommended ...but only after showing me the list of possible side effects and telling me to read the leaflet carefully, I told him I always did and promised to stop if I had any problems. He also told me to build up the dose more gradually, over three weeks rather than 3 days.

So far so good. I'm up to two tablets a day and feeling a real difference in terms of my pain and so far no problems. A bonus is that today I managed to cut down my oxycodond to 3 instead of 4! I'm just not counting how many tsblets a day I'm on now though!
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Starting a new medication is always a step into the unknown but it would seem that so far, so good. I've always taken the view that the meds are there to improve the quality of life now because no- one knows what the future holds and it sounds as though yours is improving which is a very good thing. I hope it continues! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks DD, you're right, none of us know what the future holds and I've always believed to being open to trying new things...even though I never quite thought meds would be part of that.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am sure that many on here feel like that, I have been on medication since the age of twelve and have never thought about not being be so because it was never a possibility. It must be so much harder for those who are recently come to this kind of situation. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I hope they do the trick for you Slosh!

I suspect most of us on here just accept the meds as part of "normal life" but I'm also one of those who've stopped counting. All I know is when I collect my meds from the pharmacist every month they usually offer me a carrier bag. :roll:

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Options
    I'm on first name terms with mine!
    Julian of Norwich