Hip OA Consultant Appointment next week

Options
kazzab456
kazzab456 Member Posts: 23
edited 19. Oct 2017, 06:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I've had OA in my right hip for approx the last 6 years, I'm due to see my consultant next Tuesday. I usually see him annually and at each appointment my hip gets xrayed, I then see the consultant only to be told that I'm too young for a hip replacement (I'm now 45) and come back in 12 months, I've had no other treatment such as injections or anything else.

It's taken a while but the penny has finally dropped and I've realised that I now need to be more ascertive and to take control of the appointment a bit better so I'm going armed with a note pad and questions this time. The only problem is I don't really know what to ask apart from finding out what stage of arthritis my hip is at.

Can you advise me of what other questions I could ask him please?

Thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't think it's a matter of asking questions, I would be telling him about the day-to-day impact this is having on your life. Are you reliant on walking aids? Do you have a Blue Badge? Are you still able to work? If not, what benefits have you applied for? Do you need assistance at home with personal care, cooking and cleaning? If so, who's supplying that?

I suspect that operations won't be considered until a certain level of damage has been reached. Surgeons are also concerned that the younger one has an op, more likely the need for revisions. What treatment are you currently taking? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi kazzab456
    you might find it useful to read this information about when hip replacement surgery can be offered as it may help you to formulated some questions. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Hip-replacement/Pages/Introduction.aspx
    It may also be useful to keep a diary of the way in which your hip pain restricts your life so that you can tell him about the impact it is having in your life. Lets us know how you get on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon