Fed up of feeling this sore

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 2. Nov 2017, 02:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
On Saturday I thought I would help decorate by painting some of the hallway; this turned out to be big mistake. On Sunday I woke up around 5am and was in so much pain; Literally everything was hurting, especially my back, hips and legs. It hurt so much to turn over. When I eventually got up (because laying down was not comfortable) I had terrible rib pain, which hurt to breathe in and out. I spent the morning on the sofa with a hot water bottle which did nothing. I eventually managed to go for a walk round the block which seemed to ease some of the stiffness, and have a bath.

I was hoping it would go off by today but it still hurts to walk round and I feel so tired. I'm feeling really upset and fed up at the moment, and no one else I know seems to understand how painful it is and how down it can make you feel.

I'm starting to feel as though I'm a constant nuisance, and wish I could just find something that would at least take a bit of the pain away; then I'm sure that would give me a bit of hope that it won't be this bad all the time. The medication I take doesn't seem to even touch the pain when its this bad.

Sorry for moaning I just really wanted to vent to people who know what its like.

Kirsty.

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Kirsty,

Constant pain is so debilitating, and our nearest and dearest can't understand if they don't struggle with it too. This is a safe space to let those anxieties go.

I usually find a hot water bottle soothing, or a soak in a lovely warm bath with some nice bath oil-though I then need a pull up from hubby to get out :? .

I think we all have different ways of dealing with pain, but sometimes finding a distraction helps-I love word puzzles and good books, or concentrating on my crochet for short bursts, anything to concentrate on something other than how miserable I am!

Sorry that I can't remember what nature of the arthritic beast you have, but the inflammatory arthritis kind usually has fatigue as a symptom, and managing our activities is important in avoiding that crushing weariness which is so hard to cope with-so hopefully your weariness will ease as your body recovers from the unaccustomed activity of painting.

Maybe the key now is to be gentle with yourself for a few days, and try and find something to do that you enjoy to cheer yourself up! Hope you feel more human soon. :P

Deb x
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Hi Kirsty,

There's nothing wrong with a good vent here now and then, I find it's best not to bottle up how you feel.

I have an idea of what you are gong through, even though I only have arthritis in my left knee, some days the pan is constant and unbearable.

Sending gentle hugs (((())))
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • [Deleted User]
    dibdab wrote:
    Hi Kirsty,

Constant pain is so debilitating, and our nearest and dearest can't understand if they don't struggle with it too. This is a safe space to let those anxieties go.

I usually find a hot water bottle soothing, or a soak in a lovely warm bath with some nice bath oil-though I then need a pull up from hubby to get out :? .

I think we all have different ways of dealing with pain, but sometimes finding a distraction helps-I love word puzzles and good books, or concentrating on my crochet for short bursts, anything to concentrate on something other than how miserable I am!

Sorry that I can't remember what nature of the arthritic beast you have, but the inflammatory arthritis kind usually has fatigue as a symptom, and managing our activities is important in avoiding that crushing weariness which is so hard to cope with-so hopefully your weariness will ease as your body recovers from the unaccustomed activity of painting.

Maybe the key now is to be gentle with yourself for a few days, and try and find something to do that you enjoy to cheer yourself up! Hope you feel more human soon. :P

Deb x

Hi Deb, thank you very much for the advice. I made myself go for a short walk at lunchtime today and then when I got home from work I had a nice bath., which is the nicest I've felt all day, thank you for suggesting that. I'm now sitting down having a read to try and keep my mind off of it.
    I have seronegative arthritis with hyper mobility and sacroiliitis, which they think is all connected, but I'm still in the process of being properly diagnosed.
    Thank you for your kind words and help.
    Kirsty x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi Kirsty,

There's nothing wrong with a good vent here now and then, I find it's best not to bottle up how you feel.

I have an idea of what you are gong through, even though I only have arthritis in my left knee, some days the pan is constant and unbearable.

Sending gentle hugs (((())))

Hi TheLordflasheart,

Thank you for your kind words, and I hope you feel a bit better soon. It can be so uncomfortable can't it, especially on the bad days.

Thank you again,

Kirsty

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've learned over my arthritic years that doing things that make us feel useful and valuable tend to render us disproportionately useless and of little value. :roll: When major works such as decorating are going on I offer a support role by fuelling the work force (whoever they are) with tea and biscuits, with smaller exploits I do a little at a time and always stop (well, nearly always) when I think I can do more. My dad used to tell me that the human brain works in penny packets (i.e. effective concentration spans were parcelled out) and now I apply that concept to physical efforts.

Having said that my personal trainer will soon appear and a gruelling hour will begin - I have noticed an increase in my physical stamina since I began working with her: yes, stuff hurts before, during and after but so what? I know that pain-free is not on the agenda and this tailored exercise is helping me to cope better with it. I hope you are feeling better now, you will find your own way through and develop coping strategies but it doesn't happen overnight. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how are things now? I hope you are feeling less sore and have been able to rest. DD
  • [Deleted User]
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, how are things now? I hope you are feeling less sore and have been able to rest. DD

Hi DD, I'm starting to feel a little better thank you although I'm finding sleeping difficult. I'm due for my next nurse clinic next week so I will see if she has any tips.
    Thank you for thinking of me.

Kirsty x

• dreamdaisy
    You're welcome and thank you for coming back to update us, I am pleased you are feeling a little better.

Proper, refreshing sleep is a challenge for many of us on here. Thanks to the arthritis I no longer move naturally in my sleep, I also wake regularly due to pain breakthrough so my nights are disturbed. Some turn to medication to aid sleep and I can understand why but that's not for me: I take enough medication as it is, I am retired and have no children so there are no demands on my time. I hope the nurse can help, please let us know how you get on. DD
  • [Deleted User]
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    You're welcome and thank you for coming back to update us, I am pleased you are feeling a little better.

Proper, refreshing sleep is a challenge for many of us on here. Thanks to the arthritis I no longer move naturally in my sleep, I also wake regularly due to pain breakthrough so my nights are disturbed. Some turn to medication to aid sleep and I can understand why but that's not for me: I take enough medication as it is, I am retired and have no children so there are no demands on my time. I hope the nurse can help, please let us know how you get on. DD

Hi DD,

Just to let you know I had my nurse appointment yesterday. It was at a different hospital than normal and was a bit of a mess to be honest, I was in the hospital for over 4 hours, so I’m glad I took the day off work! They are now going to add folic acid and methotrexate to the sulfasalazine to see if that has any difference on the pain and stiffness. I was also told to take a naproxen every day as well because it’s never been properly explained to me how to take them before, but they have now given me a stomach protector too so I feel a bit happier about taking all of it now. I start the methotrexate on Monday so I’ll see how it goes. I know no one is a doctor on here but I just wondered if anyone had taken a stomach protector before and how much of a gap you should take between the naproxen and the stomach protector? I am going to ring the pharmacist at some point but would be glad of any advice. Thanks again .

Kirsty x