Quick question about steroid injections

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 30. Oct 2017, 06:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm having what I presume are steroid injections (letter refers to them as trigger point injections), into my neck and shoulders on Monday. As I can't eat/drink anything after 2.30 am and only water or black tea no later than 6.30 am I'm presuming some kind of anaesthetic is involved.
I usually use crutches when walking short distances but I'm wondering if it would be wiser to use my rollator Monday as it puts less pressure on my shoulders.
I'm probably over thinking it all now but any advice on what to expect is welcome.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    not sure about anaesthetic , they do the injections using xray to get the right place & in steriods I have had done have had to turn up early & could go home after the injections but those was in my keel so not the same

hope it goes well & you get some benifit
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    If you are anything like me you might feel a bit shaky (as relief probably that it's all done :wink: ) so your walker is best in my opinion.

My husband has fetched a pull along wheelchair in the past for me, but trust me I am a wimp!!

I hope you are being driven home? They like is to keep as still as possible anyway so the medication stays where it's needed. So feet up when you get home with a cuppa and no cooking/hovering etc for a few days :wink:

Best of luck :D

Toni xx
  • mouse2009
    mouse2009 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi. If your fasting for ultrasound guided injections they may use a small amount of local anaesthetic especially in the more delicate areas. I would take a snack in your pocket for the way home just to help with any nausea . If your anything like me when I can’t eat I am very grumpy! Good luck

[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks all.
    I am getting a cab there and back again so I won't be driving and I have no need to do so for a couple of days.
    It's being done at a private hospital (care of NHS), and I have already spotted the tea & coffee shop.
    Going to see my Grandchildren today which will take my mind off it but I can't believe how anxious this is making me.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can believe how anxious it's making you because I used to get very wound up before having my knees done. There's no guarantee they will work and having joints injected is a very big deal. Well done on booking a taxi and yes, take your rollator. My hospital always told me to rest properly for at least 48 hours after my knees were done to give the stuff time to settle which I always did. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope it all goes well Slosh, and gives you some relief.

As DD said, my rheumy always says total rest for 48 hours to give the meds chance to sit in place and do its stuff- and I have to confess that the one time I only rested properly for a day I got much poorer results. They also say don't drive yourself during that time.

Deb x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks both. I'm glad to know I'm allowed to be anxious DD, it just seemed a bit silly as I have no fear of needles - apparently I don't even flinch when I have bloods done or injections.
    Had a lovely day with my family, end of half-term visit to a certain burger chain, the one with the big M, and then presents for the grandchildren. The boys both chose lego style kits and then wanted my help. It was the tonic I needed.
    Julian of Norwich
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    Hi Slosh,

I’ve had several injections in my spine and hips. When i had these they used a local anaesthetic so I was sort of asleep (enough not to know it was going on) but not fully. I’m not sure if they do this all the time but I had a similar letter which told me not to drive for 48 hours after and not to eat after breakfast until after the procedure. I hope it goes well.

Kirsty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk