Total wrist fusion

Options
Ryandoran2010
Ryandoran2010 Member Posts: 3
edited 30. Oct 2017, 04:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good morning all,

Am after some advise and tips am due to have a full wrist fusion in just over a weeks time.

Can anyone who's had this operation give me any tips to manage with the lack of movements ECT.

What made life easier for you to manage?

Are classed as disabled etc?

Any advise will be helpful for me.

Thank you Ryan

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ryan and welcome to the Arthritis Care forums.

A wrist fusion is quite a dramatic piece of surgery which hopefully will fix things nicely.

You will have been told what to expect by your surgeon, such as there will be a few days in hospital after the operation. You will also need to keep your wrist protected for six to eight weeks in a lightweight cast. Your fingers should be free for light activities such as eating or writing.

I’m sure our members with personal experience will be able to supply more detailed tips from their own experience.

Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • Ryandoran2010
    Ryandoran2010 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you Brynmor,

Just getting really nervous about it all.

I have an active young family to look after.

Ryan
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi again Ryan

You may like to take a look at the information factsheet on Osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist which you can download from the web site:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/671-osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist

It gives some good ideas to make simple tasks less difficult and has some advice on exercises, if you haven't already had this information from your health team.

If you need to talk to someone, then you can ring the Arthritis Care Helplines for free:

- Telephone 0808 800 4050
    - Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9.30am - 5.00pm

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16896&hilit=dorcas

I hope this will help you a bit?

TWRs are a lot less common than other replacements but I remembered this one so I hope it helps.

All the very best and do let us know how you get on

Toni xx