Methertroxate and Naproxen

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 6. Nov 2017, 13:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday I attended my 3 monthly nurse appointment, which was at a different hospital to usual, as the waiting time at my current hospital was too long. The whole appointment was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. I was 50 minutes late being seen (which I do expect as I know things over run). When I was eventually seen the nurse kept rushing in and out of the appointment which made all the information she told me confused. I was told I would need to start Methotrexate but then the nurse couldn't find the doctor. I was then told to wait outside whilst she saw her next patient as she was aware at how late she was running and said a nurse would get the doctor to come in and see her (which did not happen. In the end I was in the hospital for over 4 hours and am very confused on what and when I should take certain things.

I was told to take folic acid on one day and Methertroxate on another day. I was just looking for some advice really. I know people aren't doctors on here but any advice would be great.

I just wondered if folic acid needs to be taken with food or if it can be taken on its own?

I am also taking Naproxen (which they said I could continue taking alongside the sulfasalazine and the methertroxate), they have given me a stomach liner called Omeprazole to take with the naproxen but didn't explain how I should take it. I know I should take it in the morning but didn't know whether to take it before food or with food and also if there should be a gap between taking the stomach liner and the naproxen.

Sorry for all the questions but I just wondered what everyone else's experiences were on the above.

Thank you in advance.

Kirsty

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi Kirsty , sorry they messed our appointment up

as for folic acid , I was taking 5mg six days a week , some only say one 5mg the day after taking methotrexate , it helps with the side effects from metotrexate , did they sort out blood test from your surgery , I was on it for 18 years , some have problems & others have no side effects at all so good luck with it
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Kirsty,

It might be useful to ring your rheumy helpline for clarification of your doses etc. I take Lanzoprozole, a similar stomach protector, and the instructions in the pack say to take it an hour before food. Generally naproxen (and other anti-inflammatories) are ususally taken with or after food to lessen the potential effects on your stomach lining. As for folic acid, it acts to lessen side effects from methotrexate, and should not be taken on the same day, when I was on meth I took the folic acid 3 days after the meth, though eventually ended up taking it everyday except meth day- your local pharmacist should be able to talk you through the best way of taking your meds, they're usually really good at explaining that kind of thing.

I hope your new medication regime starts to help soon.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    When I was on nap I took my omeprazole (protector) immediately on waking then at least an hour later I would eat and do the rest of my pills (always with water). I am supposed to take one folic acid per week but frequently forget :roll: - this is a supplement so it's OK to take at any time but never on a meth day. If you have any doubts then the people to contact are either your rheumatology unit or a pharmacist. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I’m starting the methotrexate tomorrow evening so I’m hoping the side effects aren’t too bad. I feel a little worried about taking it; I think it’s just because I’ve heard a few nasty things about the side effects and I’m a little worried about fertility in the future, but the nurse did say it shouldn’t effect it in the long run. Fingers crossed it goes okay. After my nurse appointment my back has been playing up, probably from the nervous wreck I got myself into! Thanks again x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've lost track of the number of medications I have tried and taken over my life span, when you're a child you don't know about side effects and today I retain that childlike innocence; I assume I won't have side effects and I usually don't. Meth won't affect your fertility but if you later want to conceive you have to stop the meth at least three months before you begin trying - always a difficult decision if it's working. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben