Pillows

Natalie1712
Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
edited 26. Nov 2017, 17:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I have RA as some may know already. I'm not sure if I have it in my neck but it's been getting awfully sore these last few weeks and I'm thinking it's down to my pillow (as well as RA). I've tried a couple of different types but nothing seems to ease the pain for long.

Even if it is RA I think my pillow will have a big factor to play. Does anyone have any recommendations on which one to get? I understand everyone is different but maybe a couple of suggestions would be good to give me an idea of what to look for?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I invested £90 in a Tempur firm rectangular memory foam pillow and have never regretted it, after all I've probably wasted twice as much over my arthritic years in buying pillows that were wrong for me. I tried it in John Lewis, used it for over thirty minutes (nearly fell asleep too) and I take it when we go away.

It took a little while to soften (at first it wasn't comfortable, I guess the shop one had seen some action) but now it's becoming too soft so it may be relegated to a knee pillow and I'll buy another either on Black Friday or in the new year sales. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Babsb
    Babsb Member Posts: 26
    Did reply but obviously did not do it correctly. Sorry new on here. I use a triangular pillow with soft one on top. I have oa and dystonia in my neck very painful. A few years ago it crumbled and broke so a lot metal in there. It also causes pain in my arms so I use the triangle to rest my arms on.it will take trial and error to find what suits you best so wish you good luck. Sure you'll get there in the end. babsb
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    I use a Harley Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow (the softer one), which is my most essential item (it goes everywhere with me) It cost a fortune but is worth every penny.
    If you have a good physio or osteopath they will sometimes lend you different makes to try out as it's quite personal.
    If you sleep on your side like me this is great.
    Good luck
    Trisha
  • Natalie1712
    Thanks for your replies everyone! I went to Dreams today and tested a few. Was very strange snuggling into pillows in a bed in the middle of a shop lol! But I explained and the guy was very helpful. I ended up going with a Tempur one called the cloud. Was very expensive but I'm hoping it will be worth it :) at the end of the day I've probably spent the same amount buying cheaper pillows that are no use. So fingers crossed :) x
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, I know it's very early days did you have a better night? It took me a little while to get used to my Tempur but now I can't be without it! DD
  • Natalie1712
    Hi DD

Thanks for asking :)

The pillow is amazing! I haven't slept this well in ages :) I thought it would take a while to adjust but the first night I woke up feeling so refreshed in the morning. It's amazing what a pillow can do. It was expensive but most definitely worth the money to help aid a better sleep :) x
  • dreamdaisy
    Hurrah! I hope this lasts, to wake up feeling like that must be lovely. DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi, I've tried loads and loads of pillows in the past now I have a pocket sprung pillow (got it from Dreams) it's very supportive you can try them out at the store. Also on top my Neighbour brought me this huge and I mean huge square pillow it's pretty soft.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-Stripe-Continental-Lancashire-Bedding/dp/B00OZTP2QY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1511001713&sr=8-6&keywords=large+square+pillows

Have a look and see what you think!!
  • Natalie1712
    Thanks DD, it seems to be lasting so well worth the investment. I’ve had a stiff neck every morning for a few years now so I’m absolutely delighted. If only a pillow could take all the other stiffness away :wink: oh to dream!

Bubbadog thanks for that! That pillow looks so big and comfy, will maybe get that for my knee support :D

Natalie x