Feeling overwhelmed and anxious

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 4. Nov 2017, 20:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Everything is really getting on top of me at the moment, I've had a second busy week, and while the first was enjoyable, the second was full of appointments, hospital, GP and blood tests for me, plus going with my daughter and grandson to a paediatric appointment to start off his assessment for possible Aspergers type autism. My GP appointment resulted in a referral for a scan of my ovaries and a blood test to check my HCG levels (the hormone which is usually raised in pregnancy) to see if they are high for my age (56). I had a text message Thursday to book a phone consultation with my GP but they told me to phone back next Monday when more appointments will be released. Next week I have yet another OH appointment on Monday morning and then a follow up meeting in school on Thursday when I might finally get my early retirement application sent off. To top it all at 9.15 pm my phone rang and it was my GP (who was still working on a Friday evening!), he said that my blood test showed my HCG levels are raised and so as well as the scan request, he is also referrimg me to an endochronolgist (please excuse spelling).
Not surprisingly my pain levels are shooting up along with my anxiety levels and it's just really getting on top of me.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Slosh,
    It is hard to not let things get on top of you at times, and constant pain just drags you down.
    But you will get past this and things will get better. One thing is certain in life - it constantly changes, nothing stays the same, so we have to try to manage it all as best we can.
    I, too, have been feeling very challenged lately, and some days are better than others, but there are things I hold to that give me some comfort and hope, find those and focus on those.

Good luck.
  • wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi,

I was a teacher too and every school holiday I had a migraine or a really bad cold or infection and I put it down to my making the body keep on regardless and when it was allowed to stop it did so big time!

When I finally accepted I had to apply for early retirement it was relief and, maybe, horror? that my job was over because I loved it. Anyway when all was finally in progress and all I could do was wait I had another really bad flare which made it so hard to carry on.

So maybe your body is taking a break, but really it's good news because it's let your med team notice and take action on an anomaly in your bloods, better to get it sorted now really don't you think?

It's been half term here and we have had 2 g'children, 6 and 4, both close to being 1 yr older and the elder has autism, would have been described as classic. He does go to a special school but he is developing really well, he has many talents and wonderful turns of phrase! At the moment I'm struggling and it's 'Mam-gu, you have forgotten again' with a big chuckle after I've asked him something for the third time!

Xx
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Slosh,

Have some hugs (((((( )))))),

I understand that feeling of frustration and isolation when you've pinned your hopes on a treatment/diagnosis and it goes awry. Hopefully the new tests will show the way forward, and it's good that your medics are vigilant.

I'll be thinking about your OH appointment and school meeting. Here's hoping the retirement thing will soon be sorted and you can just concentrate on giving your body the time and space it needs.

Maybe focus on the joy of being with your lovely families, and the positives of having chance now to spend time doing things that make you happy.

Deb xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Thank you, if nothing else it reminds me of why I have to retire early, there is no way I could go back to working, even if it is just 3 days a week. Next weekend is my younger grandson's 6th birthday so that is something to look forward to, he's already booked me in for another lego session! At least next week's meetings are spread out more so there's more chance to rest up in between. I am so lucky with my GP. I just wish life didn't have to be so hard, it just feels such a battle at the moment.
    Sorry to be such a moaning Minnie! I just hate it when I feel like this and get angry with myself and my stupid body
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Dear Slosh

So sorry that you're having such a challenging time. Sometimes it does feel that everything seems to get thrown at you at once, so you wonder how much more you can take.

But I usually remind myself that this has happened before (lots of difficult things at once) and that it did pass and I survived.

The sun will come out again and happy times will come. Just get through one day at a time and be kind to yourself.

Sending you love

Trisha