ANOTHERR CONSULTANT APPOINTMENT

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 10. Nov 2017, 12:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I had another appointment today. Elderly Medicine dept???
I got there this afternoon. It was to do with falls. She took her time and was very thorough but at the end she said she had no magic fix. I didn't expect any to be honest.
She said most people she sees the falls have to do with
Low blood pressure, checked my heart, checked for parkinsons,
thought it might be some medication that was affecting me but couldn't find anything. She is referring me to a physiotherapist.
My walking is bad and my core muscles need
some work doing on them.
I'm not surprised about my walking being bad and muscles are weak.
So would hers be if she had TWO THR's then a fractured greater trochanter bone which has put me on crutches permanently.
After that it was a TKR, then just recovering, had a fall and an operation on my right shoulder, a few weeks after that back to hospital again to have the same shoulder worked on again only this time it was a total replacement shoulder :lol:

So waiting for a physio appointment

Love
Hileena

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Based on my experience down here I wonder if that's a routine follow-up? After my tumble (even though mine was pure accident ) I was 'interviewed' by a nurse at an outpatients appointment and asked if I would take part in an annual survey, the aim of which was to establish the main reasons behind falls in the elderly (there's nothing like being included with the elderly when you're only 52).

There's no doubt you have been through a great deal in the past couple of years - things can only get better but that will take time; it's harder to improve than decline. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    It may not have produced anything of use for you Hileena,(you're a bit too special!) but the gathering of basic information that might lead to ways of preventing or reducing falls in the elderly or 'at risk' individuals can only be a good thing so you have done your bit for the commonweal.
    It was such simple investigation that established that dehydration is a major(and preventable) cause of falls among the elderly, and responsible and proactive care homes have taken that on board with considerable benefit to all concerned.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    I had to laugh at you being included in the elderly.....I thought that was really funny. :lol: How did you take it?
    You're right, harder to improve than decline....never mind I'll get there. :)
    You know I have osteoporosis? It was when I was sent to see an osteoporosis nurse that she decided to refer me to a falls clinic. A different hospital and they call it an elderly medicine dept :roll: which is why I didn't know what the appointment was for.
    I'm about to go off line but you have left me giggling :lol:
    Well here's to "the only way Is up!!!!!" :wink:

Hi Daffy,
    I thought it was a very positive appointment and I said the doctor was vey thorough. I think you might have read my post wrongly.
    I was pleased to be sent to a falls clinic. At least I'm in that age group not like DD

Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Hileena

I am pleased to hear that you found the appointment useful. It is good you did not feel it a waste of time, being as it is not so easy for you to go places at the moment.

Take care,

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Elna
    Thanks for your reply
    Well she has sent me to the physio I know I've been to the physio recently but that was specifically my shoulder after the replacement. This is to see if she can help with the falls

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Hileena

I really hope the physio can help you. Let's hope he/she is a good one! They definitely do vary.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hileena, I've been included with the elderly since arthritis was mooted as a possible cause of my troubles (which was in 2002 when I was 43).

'Arthritis? Oh yeah, my mum's got that, she's 67/74/81/93 (delete as appropriate) so it's to be expected.' And then when I got the Clatterator - 'Wow, that's useful, I wish we could persuade my Grandma to use one.' Cheers.

I can't see the point in getting upset or feeling offended, after all people can't help being thoughtless, insensitive idiots. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben