Can methotrexate be taken with naproxen?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 9. Nov 2017, 08:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether anyone had taken naproxen with methotrexate before?

Last week I had my rheumatology appointment with the nurse and methotrexate was added to the sulfasalazine I take to see if that would help.

The nurse suggested that I take one naproxen a day silk but when I spoke to the pharmacist he told me they aren’t normally taken together because of drug interaction.

I’m only on a low dose of methotrexate (10mg a week) taken on a Monday and 1 folic acid taken on a Friday. I take 4 sulfasalazine daily and was taking 1 naproxen daily. The nurse also gave me a stomach protector for the naproxen.

If anyone had any advice that would be great.

Thanks,

Kirsty

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Pharmacists are very knowledgeable people but they are not rheumatologists. For a couple of years I took six sulph, one omeprazole and two naproxen per day plus weekly injected meth and fortnightly injected humira, all prescribed by the hospital and had no trouble whatsoever. I'm supposed to take FA but it wasn't prescribed for years and I was fine without it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Pharmacists are very knowledgeable people but they are not rheumatologists. For a couple of years I took six sulph, one omeprazole and two naproxen per day plus weekly injected meth and fortnightly injected humira, all prescribed by the hospital and had no trouble whatsoever. I'm supposed to take FA but it wasn't prescribed for years and I was fine without it. DD

Thanks DD, my GP has confirmed that it’s okay also so that’s good. Just got me thinking when the pharmacist brought it up last week but glad it’s been confirmed now.

Thanks again.

Kirsty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk