Increased B12 levels?

Options
Inflexible
Inflexible Member Posts: 31
edited 16. Nov 2017, 17:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
One of the consequences of the medical scrutiny I've been subjected to this year is that very high levels of B12 have been detected in my blood. I understand that "normal" range is something like 100 - 400 ng/l and mine has consistently been up around 1550 - 1600 ! This can be a marker for blood disorders like leukemia, so I was packed off for a liver/spleen scan and my rheumatologist and his colleague haematologist were consulted. My other blood markers are normal and nobody seems overly concerned, apparently this is being considered a by-product of my inflammatory arthritis. I can find no other examples of this being the case, so would really be interested to hear of anyone else having the same issue.

Just for the record, we looked at my diet and eradicated everything that could have been a contributory factor. It made hardly any difference.

Martyn

Comments

• Courtney1234
    Courtney1234 Member Posts: 60
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Martyn,

I had a similar problem, expect I had exceptionally low markers of B12 in my blood. When I was first told this by my rheumatologist, I was having to have 2 injections a week for the first 6 weeks and also take iron tablets to help boost it back up. Now I only have 1 injection every 3 months. I’m only 20 and they found this very odd why mine had dropped low, we looked at different possibilities but have linked it to my rheumatic problem going on (I’m still waiting for a proper diagnosis)
    I also have a few issues with my liver function raising at its own preference!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't think I've heard of this in relation to arthritis. On the contrary, I think it's more usual for B12 levels to be depleted.

When in doubt I usually find my GPs are good at sorting out meanings. Yours might have had a report by now from the rheumatologist and might be able to cast more light on the subject.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright