rheumatoid arthritis

thefairy
thefairy Member Posts: 2
edited 22. Nov 2017, 16:28 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I am newly diagnosed { August} with Rheumatoid Arthritis.
I have been taking Methatrexate for 3 months and Sulfersalsline for 1 month. I am really struggling with coming to terms with the diagnosis. Previously, i was a very active person, but the onset was very quick and hit me like a brick wall. I am also finding it difficult with pain relief. i was taking Tramadol, which made me very sleepy and now I have been given Morphine patches and can use Tramadol and/or paracetomol as well. My mobility is very up and down, having to use one or two crutches most days. i cannot at this stage see any light at the end of the tunnel, but everyone says how long it takes for the meds to start working. Any advice please?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. My situation is somewhat different in that I have had auto-immune troubles since birth (asthma and eczema) so for me this is more of the same; I have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) but have taken sulph and currently take methotrexate plus another medication.

I cannot begin to comprehend the shock you must be feeling at the sudden reversal of life's fortune. I know that for an unlucky few RA can hit suddenly and hard and I wonder if this can make it more difficult to bring it under control. The meds work by suppressing the immune system in order to reduce disease activity and this is supposed to happen anytime between two and twelve weeks but (as some on here can testify) it can take trial and error to find the most effective combination of medications to make that happen. I know that my PsA is controlled because my blood tests are good but that is the only way I can tell. I am in my twenty-first year of this malarkey (I began aged thirty seven) so have a fair bit of experience under my belt.

As for pain, I am used to it now and keep my intake of dullers (my slang for pain 'killers' because they don't kill, only dull the sharper edges) to the minimum so that I have an escape route for the poorer times (despite the meds they still occur). I have had tramadol and morphine in the past but as they took me away from the pain rather than vice-versa (plus the fact it always returned because it hadn't gone very far) I decided that a little and on a regular basis was better. I use distraction as my main form of pain relief, be it reading, watching TV, doing puzzles, chatting to friends or even housework. I have walking aids for when I am out and about - these include a rollator, a wheelchair and a scooter (my toes, both ankles, both knees and both hips are affected so sometimes walking is not easy).

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we get it because we've all got it. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben