Red Palms

Options
gazza3010
gazza3010 Member Posts: 6
edited 23. Dec 2017, 04:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi have had ra for 10 years currentlt on rituximab and methotrexate.Recently both palms round heel of hand are red and hot.Has anybody else had this and what does it mean.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gazza3010,

Welcome to the forum, it is always tricky when a new symptom appears, usually just when we think we have got a way of coping with our condition.

With anything new its important to get medical information so I'd ask my rheumatologist's nurse for advice, usually they are quite easy to get hold of and very knowledgeable. A trip to your GP ould be useful too.

For support and help in general you can get in touch with our helpline on 0808 800 4050.

Have you found anything that helps with this? Maybe a cold pack perhaps?

Let us know how you get on

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If they are hot to the touch and swollen then ice could help to temporarily remove symptoms. Is the skin inflamed and itchy? If so it could be some kind of allergic reaction but that seems very localised. Do they tingle? Are your fingers still able to move as usual? I have had trouble with my hands but not had anything like this; I would contact my rheumatology unit but I would also ask my pharmacist for advice, they are knowledgeable people. I hope you find an answer. DD

tcold
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi gazza3010
    Sorry I cant help but just want to welcome you to the forum..hope you get some answers to this..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on now, how are things? DD
  • gazza3010
    Options
    Palms still red according to internet could be palmar erythema which affects 60% of people with rheumatoid arthritis.But noone on forum seems to have it so at a loss.Have appointment on 18 with rheumy nurse so maybe have a better idea.Thanks for all help.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, how did the appointment go? Did they confirm that it was palmar erythema and if so what have they suggested? As I understand things it can be quite common, is a discolouration of the skin and can be sorted with a course of tablet steroids. I hope you are getting on as well as possible. DD
  • gazza3010
    Options
    Hi dd,it is palmar erythema sign of inflammation in body.Thank you for your help.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You're more than welcome, I don't think I've done much but I was wondering how you were getting on. Have they put you on a course of steroids to help clear it? I hope it doesn't spoil your Christmas too much. DD