Hi, a newbie to the site.

Options
Squidge63
Squidge63 Member Posts: 2
edited 3. Dec 2017, 03:08 in Say Hello Archive

Hi, I was first diagnosed with OA in my neck when I was 36, was put on Diclofenac for several years. I have had back pain for several years, but it was only diagnosed in my 40's with degenerative disc changes in L3/4 and L4/5. Again I was put on Diclofenac for about 4 years, then suddenly changed to Naproxen which didn't work. I was put back on Diclofenac for a month, but had a TIA followed by a stroke the next day, luckily I had been admitted to the stroke unit after my TIA, as my diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure were all elevated. When I saw the consultant he saw I was on Diclofenac and said you cannot have that or any other anti-inflammatory drugs. Since then I have been on Tramadol, Oxycontin and now Fentanyl patches, which have recently been upped to 200mcg. I have had several steroid injections in my back,but they didn't work, and last month had a double strength steroid injection into the caudal area of my back. However, my back and legs pain seem to be worse. I can't have operations on my back, so is pain management. Looking forward to being a part of this community. David tcold hcold tcold
hcold

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Squidge,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will enjoy your time here - lots of advice and humour - just what the doctor should order!

Here's our factsheet on osteoarthritis of the neck

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/448-osteoarthritis-of-the-neck

and this is information on back pain

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/back-pain.aspx

Have you tried any physio to help with your pain? I know it sounds counter intuitive but keeping the muscles strong has the best effect on helping our joints.

Share your symptoms and your difficulties and their may be fellow sufferers who have found a way to manage it in some way - or maybe help can be found when more than 1 person is looking for a solution.

Don't forget we have a helpline which is really friendly and knowledgeable just dial 0808 800 4050

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's very nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. NSAIDs have been around for some time but only now are the possible effects of long-term use being seen, how horrid that you have suffered as a result of taking a helpful med. I have OA and my inflammation levels are controlled by the medication I have for my other arthritis, an auto-immune kind called psoriatic, so I rarely need an anti-inflammatory. Back in my early days the first NSAID I was given was Celebrex which worked like a dream (no stomach protector required) which is one of the cox2 inhibitors but my GP refused to prescribe them on grounds of cost to the practice. He substituted one tablet with two (naproxen and omeprazole) which had as much effect on my inflammation as a syringe of water extinguishing a forest fire.

I began with one affected joint, now it's around forty but my back so far is mercifully unaffected. Having the two gorillas ain't fun (that refers to the web article There's a Gorilla in my House, it's worth a read as is The Spoon Theory) but it is what it is, it will do what it will do and it ain't gonna go away. I tried stronger pain relief in the past but prefer going without as I found it took me away from the pain rather than vice versa. Backs, however, are a different cup of tea in the pain stakes and far harder to manage. My main pain relief method is distraction (that's why I'm on here now, we had friends to dinner last night and I am physically paying for it, focusing on someone else's misery helps me to feel less of mine :wink: ) and I enjoy reading, doing puzzles (both jigsaw and the book variety) and doing my exercises as set by my personal trainer.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it. :D I wish you well. DD

christmas01
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben