Samter’s Triad

Options
riodog
riodog Member Posts: 9
edited 3. Dec 2017, 11:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I am at present awaiting my appointment with a consultant rheumatologist after suspected RA diagnosis of my GP.
I suffer from Samter’s Triad which means I have a severe intolerance of aspirin and other NSAIDs with asthma and nasal inflammation.
I had a bad reaction to diclofenac and have stopped taking this.
I wonder if anyone else has this condition and if so how this may affect the medication the consultant is likely to try to combat the RA.I am worried about anything that is likely to trigger a nasty reaction given what I say above.
Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard
Just moving to the Living with Arthritis forum where most of of members check posts, Yvonne x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I can understand your concern but we're not really the people to ask. When you see the rheumatologist ensure that he is fully aware of this condition (I've never heard of it, thank you for broadening my education!) so that he can gauge the best medication options for you. I have asthma which is well-controlled and have not had any trouble when taking NSAIDs (apart from the fact they did burger all for the arthritis). I wish you well and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    Hi Richard , never heard of Samter’s Triad but I have Occupational Asthma & had Rheumatiod Arthritis for over twenty years

About 1 in 10 people with Asthma have problems with aspirin and other NSAIDs & every NSAID I have tried causes Asthma so could never take them which is not good for RA but there are other drug your consultant can give out to control RA , just hope your GP is wrong
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Richard
    Sorry I have never heard of this..but want to welcome you to the forum...we live and learn everyday..
    Love
    Barbara