Hello, feeling down and alone with this.

Claudette
Claudette Member Posts: 60
edited 15. Dec 2017, 05:09 in Say Hello Archive
Hello,
I'm new. I want to find others to share with. Been finding things tough. Feel guilty because mine is only one arthritis foot due to trauma 20 months ago..and maybe other people feel they are much worse. Still finding it hard to accept and come to terms with after having been so active. Walking was one of my favourite things but now seems painful after 30minutes. Standing is worse. Had the cortisone, 3 of them in one go into the midfoot. Although it has improved things a bit my high arch foot will not roll out properly. Have had the orthotics but these haven't helped. I'm only 60, wondering about whether to get antidepressants but petrified of the side effects. Would a stick help? Sorry about my misery. It is what comes of having been alone with this encroaching problem for some time.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Claudette from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

Good luck with your appointment with the Consultant tomorrow, let us know how you go on.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

John
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us - it would be far better for us to remain strangers, yes? :wink: There is absolutely no need to feel guilty about possibly not being in as much trouble as others, pain is pain and it affects all areas and aspects of our lives. Personally I think it must be far worse for you because the pain is so localised, thus drawing more attention to itself. It must also be harder if you have, up until this began, enjoyed good physical health: that prepares you not one jot for living with a long-term condition.

I have OA in a number of joints and plunged into depression when it was diagnosed back in 2011. I have been taking a small daily dose of an anti-depressant since then and the only side effect I have is being able to cope better with life, which is no bad thing. I have been using walking aids since 2002 and am now realising the benefits because doing that has reduced the impact on my other joints; although both hips are affected my range of movement within them has been preserved. I have recently begun working with a personal trainer and both of us are surprised by what I am achieving.

I began my first arthritis aged 37 back in 1997, then the OA naturally followed so I think it fair to say that I have some experience of living with this nonsense. I am fortunate in that good health has never featured in my life which has made things easier in some respects. I am not a doc but my advice to you would be keep up the walking (just do less and more often), wear good, supportive footwear, use a stick to aid balance and to reduce the strain on your other joints (the stick should be held in the hand opposite to the affected side, a walking pole is a good disguise if you feel one is needed) and definitely visit your GP to discuss your depression and pain relief options. Arthritis can be an isolating condition but only if we allow it to dominate our lives. Pain is frightening but only if we don't confront it. Learning these two skills, however, is far from straightforward and takes time.

Please keep in touch, we all get it because we've all got it. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Babsb
    Babsb Member Posts: 26
    Hi.. so sorry you are feeling down. There is nothing worse than pain for making you feel depressed. We all suffer from pain in here to some degree. I have oa in most of my joints and it is no joke. I have a few medical problems to deal with too. There is help to deal with your pain and how you can help yourself. A pain clinic is a good start if your doctor will refer you. I think a lot depends on how we divert ourselves too like finding a hobby of sorts that will keep our minds off the pain for awhile. I used to be very active but over the years have had to slow down. I hope you feel better soon. Some days are worse than others babsb
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, we're a few days on from your first post, how you are feeling? DD
  • wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    Hi Claudette,

I'm hoping you might be feeling a little bit better? You've just had a long wait to find you have a condition that won't go away and possibly will get worse, and nothing you do makes it better.
    You could be grieving for what should have been and worried for what might be -and why not? I'd been quite happy with being ill, see Dr, get instructions from them, go away, do as told, get better.

Why wouldn't you be angry/miserable? I was. After time and with help I stopped why me and started to take control back. Truly you are going to become the expert at your condition, good news is we too are experts at our conditions and likely some things we've learnt will help you - so ask questions. Try things out, think what might help to increase pain control and increase walking time

Keep posting, talking things through does help

Take care
    Wazz xxx
  • Claudette
    Claudette Member Posts: 60
    Dear Lovely People who replied to me,

I'm struggling with anxiety and depression. My situation feels complex, muddled and out of control. After many months of struggling post injury, I struggled (only) with painful joints at the base of my second and third toes. X-ray showed a lack of blood supply to the area and in my months later MRI scan there was no arthritis in these toe joints.The blood supply is apparently better too. After the pain at these joints, and a little improvement, the next symptom was numb 2nd and 3rd toes but only with walking. Several physiotherapists and an orthotist later when the whole foot was seeming worse I got the MRI scan. The consultant found "significant" arthritis in the midfoot joints and told me it would only get worse, advised me to wear orthotic supports. All this time I had been feeling that the biomechanics of the foot was wrong and it didn't roll properly and most arch support orthotics seemed to make that worse. Several months later I got 3 cortisone injections into the midfoot joints. This improved things a little. The biomechanics are improved but I suffer varying dergees of numbness, 2nd and 3rd toes but sometimes extending outwards to outer toes and forefoot...which becomes painful. Foot seems weak.Am back to wearing some arch support now too. I'm next awaiting an ultrasound to see if morton's neuromas are present. 40% of people with these get relief from cortisone injections into metarsal spaces.This numbness/pain bothers me more than anything in joints!! I'm trying to get my legs exercised in the gym (very short duration of 12mins on cross trainer). Sometimes the numbness gets worse as a result. Swimming is OK. I could do with the aerobic exercise to alleviate my depression. Still toying with possibility of getting anti depressants(petrified of side effects) Another thought.. Nordic walking poles..Anyone with foot problems had any success with these? Sorry for the essay. I'm very alone with my not properly diagnosed foot problem.
  • dreamdaisy
    Becoming accustomed to ongoing discomfort and pain is hard and especially so when it's affecting an area that is constantly used. I have one kind of arthritis affecting my toes and OA in both ankles, fortunately my mid-foot is currently OK and long may that last. I mentioned walking poles and aids in my last post to you, they will help in easing the strain on the affected area and not slowing the progress of the disease into other joints (not using aids means we move more awkwardly to reduce pain, thus throwing other joints out of kilter leading to problems with them which is self-defeating, to say the least). DD