Hello

Options
Bluenose
Bluenose Member Posts: 3
edited 2. Jan 2018, 13:33 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

For the last couple of weeks I have suffered with pain in the first joints (closest to my nails) of both index fingers, I actually thought I had fractured my right finger as it was so painful. It started in my right hand and now both hands. I am also suffering with general pains in my hands and wrists and excruciating pain in my neck/shoulders.

I am 38 and my mum has severe arthritis of her knees.

I will be at the GP at 8am tomorrow morning to book an appointment.

I have made excuses for my joint stiffness for the last 18 months but so many joints now affected I need to get an expert opinion.

D x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Bluenose from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I think that's a very good decision, Bluenose. You are right. You need an expert opinion. It certainly could be arthritis but we are not experts just patients.

I hope you can get a quick appointment. In the meantime, stay with us and we can try to help with support. Also, keep a diary of symptoms - what, where and when - and take photos of any swellings.

Please keep in touch.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, that's a very sensible first step and I hope the GP can help. They are the ones who deal with osteo arthritis (which in my experience is diagnosed by Xrays) and the treatment on offer is pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory medication and perhaps a referral to physio. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Bluenose
    Bluenose Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all

I have visited a fantastic GP today who did a lot of prodding and poking and from the tenderness around my finger joints, a positive test (can’t remember what she called this) when she squeezed the sides of my hand, some swelling of my hands and the description of pain in my wrists and elbows she has taken a host of bloods and made a referral to a rheumatologist.

She thinks it may be rheumatoid or post viral

Thanks again

D x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Bluenose and welcome to the forum, so glad you have been to see your GP..the bloods will help them identify what is going on , but they will probably refer you to a rheumy..I find that the smaller the joint the more painful..good luck with everything..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Although that might not seem like a great result it's far better to get such forms of arthritis treated relatively quickly so I'm pleased you bit the bullet and also that your GP seems on the ball.

Please keep us in the loop and, if you've any questions in the meantime we're here to help if we can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright