Advice drip or tablet

Kub
Kub Member Posts: 10
edited 21. Feb 2018, 07:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
One of the things worrying me is I have advised I need to start biological. ..
Rituximab by drip or baricitinib by tablet.....I would like to hear if peogle had a preference or what their experiences with each were.hoping this will hep me make a decision.

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've had Rituximab, but never herd of baricitinib. But I'm not having Rituximab for my RA, but Vasculitis. I am taking so many tablets for this and that (including Prednisolone, MTX and Leflunamide, I don't fancy taking any more. :shock:

Whichever you decide, I hope it works for you.
    t69044

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hard to say, Kub. I've never had either. Rituximab has been / is used by quite a few on here. Baricitinib seems to be a new treatment. It's approved by NICE so has undergone all the necessary trials but there's not much info on it. From what I can gather it seems to have few side effects, which is always appealing, but I guess long-term effects would not yet be known.

Choice is often not easy in such things. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi , welcome to the forum

I not tried baricitinib but on another tablet biologic Xeljanz , I need several joints replaced & because the risk of infection they stopped my Rituxamab which I was doing very well on but with xeljanz I dont seem to do very well

Tablets are a lot easier to take & dont last for months in your system like Rituxamab & down side to rituxamab is how long the infuions take but its the best biologic I tried & would recommend it but always take the advice from your consultant/nurse