I'm feeling deprived

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 24. Jan 2018, 10:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
If adolescence now lasts until 24 :o (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42732442 ) I feel I missed out. By the time I went to university at 18 I was assumed to be an adult, in charge of my own finances, health, living accommodation etc. By 24, I had a degree, a husband and a son not to mention a shedload of RA problems.

May I claim a few adolescent years back, please?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Not sure I'd want a re-run of adolescence Sticky, but second childhood has some appeal. 'Someone else' plays a big part in that stage, sorting out all the tiresome bits of life like food and housework and keeping a roof over the head, not forgetting being in charge of providing entertainment and unconditional love and support.
    Just at the minute I could do with that rather than having to be the grown up sorting out the roof damaged by the storm - being a capable(allegedly) single person has its downsides on occasion!
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    An interesting notion, all I ever wanted was to be a grown up! I was earning money at ten, left school at 15, home at 16, met my oh at 19 and married at 21, home owner and father at 25. Do we really need to cosette our youngsters? Surely to love them and give them a gentle nudge out of the nest to be adults themselves is being a good parent!

Mind you they came back equipped with grandchildren!

m0150
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I was married at 19...and had my first son at 22..gosh I thought I was so grown up..I would love to go back and claim some of my younger years..I think we were grown up before our time..well I was.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Options
    It's the old wish isn't it, 'if I knew then what I know now!' Haha.....
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,943
    Options
    Hello Sticky
    if you had your childhood back would you be has clever has you are now.
    Joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Oddly, I don't think I'd change anything. It's the rough times that prepare you for life - certainly for arthritic life. But I confess a twinge of envy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm not sure how one defines being 'adult' - I didn't feel really grown up until I acquired a brand new designed-for-the-purpose sideboard (2016 aged 56). Yesterday Mr DD and me walked back from the local garden centre eating Flying Saucers. Adult? Nah. Fun? You bet! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Options
    I know what you mean DD, I thought I'd finally grown up at 50? But then we can distinguish between adult behaviour and a sense of fun, ilreverence or just plain daftness all of which at some time I seem to have! I expect those that know me would add a few more titles?

At 62, I'm capable of making better decisions than I did, whether I do all the time is another thing! I'vs just spent 20mins in the car with gc no.4 playing the daftest of games, we laughed ourselves silly, well it made walking up to school in the rain and cold easier. I suppose I am more comfortable in my own skin now.