Hello

Options
Heatherann
Heatherann Member Posts: 3
edited 12. Feb 2018, 16:01 in Say Hello Archive
Hallo all, this is my first post, I joined in hope of learning more on how to live with chronic pain, distraction works usually but not during night.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Heatherann and welcome to the forums. I am sorry you have had to find us but you have certainly come to the right place.

The nights are the more difficult aren't they, when all is quiet and you are unable to focus on anything else. You have not mentioned how long you have been suffering or what type of arthritis you have, are you on any medication at the moment? Do tell us a little about yourself.

Our 'Living with Arthritis' at the top of the page has a section 'managing pain' do have a look.

There are a lot of lovely people here who have a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition and how they managing their pain who will be able to offer ideas and thoughts.

best wishes

Denise
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I hope people spot your post but this is a very quiet part of the forum, the majority post on Living with Arthritis.

I use distraction all the time, at night I either read my Kindle or work my way through alphabet lists of some complexity (devised by myself). I also plan household projects (based on having £1000,000 to splash!) which can be very entertaining. I take my last dose of pain relief about an hour before bed so that is kicking in with its dulling, that helps me to nod off but I rarely achieve a deep sleep thanks to pain breakthrough. I have psoriatic and osteo arthritis with around forty affected joints so pain is a bother. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too :)

I, too, find distraction very helpful but it is harder to distract oneself during the night. Like DD I ensure I have a couple of pain relief tablets left to take prior to going to bed. I try never to lie awake in bed as I find it all too easy to concentrate on the pain. Instead, I get up, make a cup of tea and read while drinking it. I often find this does the trick and I can then get back to sleep.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Quintus
    Quintus Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi, Heatherann. What form of maladie do you have? Nights really can be a bugger. In my case it is mainly AS. A little something that may be very night - active. In that case the pain is a distraction in itself. I usually walk around a little bit. Try to do some exercise if possible, drink a glass of wine and do the same as DD. But in a more theoretical way since I don't yet have 1 mio £ to spend on my appartment.
    I think the point is to not
    Concentrate on what is going on. And I suppose it is not only the pain that needs distraction. But the possible side- effects. You did not tell us about your situation. If you have to work you are possibly worrying about how to cope the next morning after a bad night. Same if you have small children, etc. That may lead to stress and stress usually worsens the situation. I am sure lots of guys on this forum will be able to give advice. I don't know- yoga, for example? Ask questions, tell more, read the answers and try things out.
    Best of luck