Things are no better!

Options
Courtney1234
Courtney1234 Member Posts: 60
edited 7. Feb 2018, 13:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, it’s been a long time since I’ve been on here. I’ve had a lot to deal with.

I’ve been back and forth between 3 consultants trying to determine what’s going on, and my naughty liver is still naughty! My LFT tests are still coming back as high. It is the ALT enzyme in particular which is raised. I’ve had an ultrasound done on my liver back in January and will be receiving results when I go to rheumatology on the 19th of this month. I went to see my orthopaedic dr on Monday and he thinks it’s about time we did a knee arthroscopy to see what’s going on. We are awaiting to see what it happening with my liver first.

And how are my joints you ask? An absolute nightmare at the moment. It just doesn’t seem to be my knee anymore. It’s the worst affecting area but I’m also suffering with my middle fingers and lower back. I’m also starting to develop pain in my liver area and have stricked instructions to seek medical services If I am at all worried. There have been mentions of a liver biopsy. Feeling a little overwhelmed as things have drastically gone up and gear and it’s a lot for me to take in as before this nothing was really happening. :cry:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, I am sorry to read this. It is challenging for the patient as others try to get to the root of their ails because it can take time. The best thing you can do to help yourself is to eat a healthy diet so your body is not further stressed in processing additives etc,., keep hydrated, rest and take a small but regular dose of pain relief to help ease the joints. What do you take at the moment? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I have been thinking of you and wondering how things were. I'm sorry it's taking so long to work out exactly what's going on but I can see that they will want to hold fire with the potentially liver-affecting meds for arthritis when your liver seems to be the main problem. I do hope you'll get some answers on 19th.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Courtney1234
    Options
    Thanks DD. Trying to keep on top of a good diet and getting a good amount of ‘recoperation’ time. However it’s becoming difficult to keep on top of simple tasks as I am feeling so weak and fatigue all the time. I only take over the counter pain relief at the moment, but I only tend to take it if I really have to as I am cautious of what is going on with my liver and don’t want to take something to potentially make it worse-silly I know but I am a worrier.

Thank you SW. I would like to hope so too. Feeling a little apprehensive regarding the whole situation.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I only take over the counter pain relief at the moment, but I only tend to take it if I really have to as I am cautious of what is going on with my liver and don’t want to take something to potentially make it worse-silly I know but I am a worrier.

I don't think that's silly at all, Courtney. Given your circumstances it seems a very sensible approach. It will be good when they get to the bottom of it though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Courtney1234
    Options
    I only take over the counter pain relief at the moment, but I only tend to take it if I really have to as I am cautious of what is going on with my liver and don’t want to take something to potentially make it worse-silly I know but I am a worrier.

I don't think that's silly at all, Courtney. Given your circumstances it seems a very sensible approach. It will be good when they get to the bottom of it though.

Thank you for your support SW I appreciate it.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I regard my pain relief as an essential but I think you are wise to be cautious as your liver is not a happy bunny. It is the liver that 'cleans' the body of paracetamol etc. so possibly increasing the strain on it may not be a sensible plan: it would be worth a chat with your GP to see what he advises . I had to reduce mine to virtually nothing when my liver was being very lively thanks to Enbrel, oh boy was that a grim time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben