MTX Increase in dose

Options
bluejay6497
bluejay6497 Member Posts: 56
edited 20. Feb 2018, 00:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well just done my MTX injection I'm having to increase the dose for the next 2 weeks then increase again. Will see my Rheumatologist at the end of the month so I'm hoping all will be ok. I don't really want to keep increasing how much I inject but I don't think I have a choice. I'm feeling a little anxious at the moment waiting for side effects, hopefully there won't be any fingers crossed. :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am sorry to hear this and can understand your concerns. I know it's common for people to start at 7.5 and increase by 2.5mgs until things are better controlled but with the injections one does get a better whack at a lower dose. What do you take now and what is the proposed increase? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi DD I started on 10mg been on that for a couple of months. Started the new dose today of 12.5mg then up to 15mg in 2 weeks.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That sounds OK, when are your next bloods due? It's good that you have been coping with it OK so far and I don't see any reason why that shouldn't continue: I hope it does. DD
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Thanks DD for the reassurance, my next Blood Test is next Thursday the 8th . I am having these done every 2 weeks at the moment.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm feeling a little anxious at the moment waiting for side effects

Please don't :) The chances of getting them are very low. We have to remember that most people don't have any problems and that these forums, by their nature, are skewed in favour of those who do. Most people are out there getting on with their lives and not even thinking about their meth except on the day they need to take it.

It's actually a very safe med as long as we have our regular blood tests. I was on 22.5mgs orally for ages with no problems despite having a stomach which NSAIDS had messed up years before. I think one of the problems with meth is that it's also used in chemotherapy at massively higher doses and that's where side-effects can really come in.

I hope all goes well for you. As you're tolerating the low dose it seems reasonable that you'll tolerate the higher one. And it'll all seem worthwhile when the arthritis is under control.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I concur with everything Sticky has said, the forum is not often used by those who are doing well. My friend with the same arthritis as me is wonderfully controlled on next to nothing meds-wise and has never understood how I am affected because that is not his experience of PsA. For the most part I am doing OK and it doesn't take much time to try and support people.

I was on fortnightly bloods for quite a while, they are important in the early stages to monitor matters. It was easy for me because at that time I lived a five minute drive from the hospital so I attended pathology, usually just before closing time; easy parking and no queue. Now they are bi-monthly but I keep forgetting to book an appointment at the local surgery . . . . . :lol: DD
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Thanks for replying DD and Stickywicket. Well it's over 24 hours now and things seem to be fine so it looks like i keep worrying for no reason. I am so grateful that I have the support from you guys because you have helped me immensely over these last couple of months since i have been diagnosed. Thank you I would probably be a nervous wreck by now if you two hadn't been here to support me. :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You're more than welcome, it is a challenging and daunting time but you're doing well; I hope that will continue. DD
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    I have just collected my MTX 15mg injections. To my horror they are NOT the Meti jet where you line it up and press the button on the top. They are like a proper injection, anyway I went to my GP surgery to ask if they could show me how to do it for the first time. I was promptly told " Oh we don't do that " I came away feeling like i didn't matter at all. So now I am left to figure this out myself but more importantly to pluck up the courage to stab myself with what seems to be a huge needle that you could sedate an elephant with. :(
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    That must be unsettling. There's obviously been some lack of communication somewhere but your GP's surgery is right. It's nothing to do with them. Consultants are the only ones who can prescribe meth (though GPs can write prescriptions which the consultant has OKed) and I'm pretty sure they could be in trouble if they showed someone how to use a needle when that is not what has been ordered. The communications breakdown is clearly between rheumatology and Healthcare at Home, or whoever deliver your pens, and I think you must contact one or the other. Certainly don't attempt to inject yourself if you've not been shown how to do it. Missing a week won't make much, if any, difference.

Oddly, I remember a kerfuffle on here when metoject pens first replaced needles as some people actually found the needles easier to handle. No-one mentioned elephants, though :wink:

Good luck and keep us in the loop.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi sticky I don't have a choice really I can't get anywhere at the moment to get help so I will have to do it myself. I have watched a few videos on youtube so hopefully it will be ok. I have until Friday afternoon to site myself up.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear, what a c*ck up, that's a whole different kettle of psychological fish and someone is responsible for leaving you in the lurch like this. The principle is exactly the same, pinch and inject, but this is like playing proper doctors and nurses isn't it? My second anti TNF, Enbrel, had to be mixed and left to settle so I was mucking about with phials and drawing the jollop into the syringe, flicking out air bubbles, the whole nine yards.

One useful tip for numbing the skin's surface is to rub an ice cube over the injection site before injecting so prepare some today. Use your thigh but make sure you are sitting on your bed so your
    muscles are relaxed. Alternatively, ring your rheumatology unit and launch a very strong complaint, this is not good service. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, I've been thinking about you: did you try or did you register a complaint with your rheumatology unit? DD
  • bluejay6497
    Options
    Hi DD Thank you for thinking about me. :) I did get it sorted in the end. It wasn't Rheumy that I had a problem with it was my Dr's practice. I contacted the pharmacy in town and told them what the problem was and they where fantastic :) I couldn't have asked for more. They was able to get the Meta Jet for me so I could carry on and do it myself. :)