Newbie needing advice

Options
2»

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I was 39 when my OA was first diagnosed. I'm now 52 (nearly 53). I had my first partial (right) knee replacement in 2009 when I was 44 and my second total (left) knee replacement January 2017 when I was 51. I'm familiar with the grading scores you've been given - my left knee was a "4" before it was replaced.

I've known younger people than you have knee replacements but the medical people will always want you to wait as long as possible as the younger you are, the more active you tend to be, so the replacements wear out quicker. And each revision (new replacement) can get slightly more difficult from what I've been told.

It sounds to me as if you aren't on the right pain meds. Your GP should be able to assist with that. You perhaps also need to tell your employers what's going on and ask for some "reasonable adjustments" to be implemented re your duties. I suspect you are covered by the Equality Act (used to be the Disability Act) as from what you are saying you've been struggling with this for years. Declaring yourself as having a disability shouldn't feel negative - it can actually help - especially around employment issues.

Regarding the arthroscopy? It always took me a good 6-8 weeks to recover from each of my arthroscopies. And I was on 2 crutches for a good 4 of those weeks most times, if not longer. I still use an elbow crutch even now (but I've also got a dodgy left ankle, my last TKR is not a 100% success and I've got OA in my lumbar and cervical spine as well as my left shoulder). You'll know when you can do without the elbow crutch. I had post-op swelling for a good number of weeks and at 4 weeks post-op each time I was regulary still icing the knee.

It's still very early days for you post-op at the moment. It'll take time. If I can help in any other way please just let me know.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Mellie23
    Mellie23 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    GraceB wrote:
    Hi, I was 39 when my OA was first diagnosed. I'm now 52 (nearly 53). I had my first partial (right) knee replacement in 2009 when I was 44 and my second total (left) knee replacement January 2017 when I was 51. I'm familiar with the grading scores you've been given - my left knee was a "4" before it was replaced.

I've known younger people than you have knee replacements but the medical people will always want you to wait as long as possible as the younger you are, the more active you tend to be, so the replacements wear out quicker. And each revision (new replacement) can get slightly more difficult from what I've been told.

It sounds to me as if you aren't on the right pain meds. Your GP should be able to assist with that. You perhaps also need to tell your employers what's going on and ask for some "reasonable adjustments" to be implemented re your duties. I suspect you are covered by the Equality Act (used to be the Disability Act) as from what you are saying you've been struggling with this for years. Declaring yourself as having a disability shouldn't feel negative - it can actually help - especially around employment issues.

Regarding the arthroscopy? It always took me a good 6-8 weeks to recover from each of my arthroscopies. And I was on 2 crutches for a good 4 of those weeks most times, if not longer. I still use an elbow crutch even now (but I've also got a dodgy left ankle, my last TKR is not a 100% success and I've got OA in my lumbar and cervical spine as well as my left shoulder). You'll know when you can do without the elbow crutch. I had post-op swelling for a good number of weeks and at 4 weeks post-op each time I was regulary still icing the knee.

It's still very early days for you post-op at the moment. It'll take time. If I can help in any other way please just let me know.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Hi GraceB
    I'm now 6 weeks post arthroscopy now & still on crutches [emoji21] consultant has said that there is no cartilage left at all so it's bone on bone now [emoji22] he also said I will probably need the (stupid, cumbersome) crutches for the foreseeable future. I am on 30/500 co-codamol & 10mg oramorph - i also have naproxen here (from previous visits to gp) but i only take them when I have to work because they don't play havoc with my mind.
    I work behind a bar as assistant steward so my bosses are of the mindset that if i can no longer do the job i'm no good to them [emoji22] i struggled for nearly 3 weeks covering for the steward but they don't seem to care about that.
    My knee gives way more now than ever - before the arthroscopy it was about 3/4 times a week but now it's 9/10 times a day - that's also why I still need the crutches because without them i would face plant the floor (especially to & from work).
    I'm supposed to see my physiotherapist on Fri but not sure if i can get there with the forecasted snow - i really want to gather evidence ect before I do anything. Another thing is if the snow is as bad as they've forecast i'm not going to be able to even get into work which the boss will not be happy about.
    I feel like everything is against me at the moment I could scream or just stay in bed under the covers feeling sorry for myself - but that's not me. Before all this pain & arthroscopy i was swimming a mile a day & walking at least 10 miles a day now if i can get down my front steps it's a massive achievement [emoji22]
    I'm now sitting here on the sofa with a cushion under my knee & a hot water bottle on it - frustrated isn't the word.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Mellie23 wrote:
    I am on 30/500 co-codamol & 10mg oramorph - i also have naproxen here (from previous visits to gp) but i only take them when I have to work because they don't play havoc with my mind.

I think it's more normal to take the naproxen regularly (with a stomach-protecting med) and use the pain relief for breakthrough pain. That way your mind is clear. But do run that past your doc before changing tactics.

Also, do listen to GraceB's wise words re Equality Act. Get advice. I think your employer can't get away with that attitude.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mellie23
    Options
    Hi all sorry no haven't been here lately but have really struggled since seeing the consultant [emoji22] all i have done is cry and shout !!
    I know there are others worse off than me but really just want to curl up (if i could) and not bother with anyone or anything [emoji22] my so called friends have been non existent & my OH has had enough of me x
    I have been trying to get in & see my gp (or any flipping gp) but failed - every day i have been on the phone only to be put on hold for 25-40 minutes & then being told that all the appointments have gone - really needing pain meds but can't get a prescription until I see the doctor !!! Really getting fed up (really want to swear here but better not [emoji28]) got physio this week so going to try & see if she can help with my evidence for pip & see if she can possibly get me or help me get an appointment with anyone.
    Why does it have to be so hard ? I'm fed up with feeling like this & knowing it's not going to get any easier [emoji22]
    Sorry for being a downer but really needed to get it out x
    Thanks for listening x

• stickywicket
    Options
    Briefly (because I'm very busy) it doesn't have to be this bad and shouldn't be. Change GP practices. It's easy. Just turn up at a new one and they'll do the admin. Take a repeat prescription with you to make it all quicker. GP's are very pushed for time these days but you need better access.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Hi Mellie, you mentioned in an earlier post that the surgery is close to where you work so I wondered if turning up in person to book an appointment might work better, or is it possible to book online?
    If changing surgeries isn't an option, either because there isn't an alternative, or the lists are closed(all 3 in my town are like that and have been for several years), and phoning is the only route to an appointment at your current surgery then it might be worth contacting the Practice Manager to outline your difficulty getting an appointment and asking what the best solution would be.
  • Mellie23
    Options
    Hi all a quick update - i've finally got an appointment with a gp (not my regular gp but any is better than none) but not until 17/4 :? I'm sitting here at stupid o'clock because i'm in pain (can't take any pain meds for another 2 hrs). My physio was a waste of time about getting any evidence for pip - when I asked about it all she could say was she didn't know anything about pip so couldn't help me ! I haven't rang the claim line yet because of the no evidence issue but hopefully once i've seen the gp i can start the ball rolling (& sort out pain meds). Does anyone know if i can get some form of evidence from my consultant ? If i rang the consultant's secretary and asked if she could send me out copies of everything e.g scan results. I haven't got the first idea on what to do.
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Mellie, you are entitled to ask any medical professional for copies of any records of tests, letters etc ( including your GP) but be aware that GPs may charge. You have to remember that it is worth paying a little ( usually between £10-£40) if it means the difference between getting PIP or not. Does your GP do telephone consultations? You may get help sooner if you request this. Or could you see a Nurse Clinician? I have to say that your experience seems very extreme. You should not have to wait a month for an appointment, which is what it will be from when you started trying. If this is typical for your GP practice, you need to change Drs pronto.
  • Mellie23
    Options
    My doctors surgery is an absolute nightmare - i did try changing but the other surgery have stopped taking new patients [emoji21] i've tried ringing them and asking for a doctor to ring me back but they never have. At my surgery you can only book a routine appointment on a Friday between 2:30 & 3:30 - once they're gone that's it !! I've even tries to get an emergency appointment but your put on hold for about 30 mins & then once you actually speak to someone you're told all the appointments have gone - it's crazy [emoji34] i'll have to pop in there and find out what the cost is for copies of my notes - it's mad you have to pay for your own notes !! You'd think you could just walk in to you gp surgery any day to book an appointment ! Sorry for the rant first thing on a Sunday morning x From the 9th April i have to get myself up the hospital every Monday morning @ 9am for physio (lower limb class) - i'll have to leave my house @ 7:30 & walk to the bus stop which will take me a good 30 mins on these crutches & then get on the bus in rush hour traffic [emoji22] it just seems everything is stacked against me right now [emoji24] sorry again for ranting & whingeing x

• susie51
    susie51 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Mellie23 wrote:
    Hi all. All my long double shifts are finished (thank god coz i really started to struggle near the end [emoji21]). Just came back from seeing my consultant and it's not good news - stage 4 osteoarthritis !! Came out of the hospital in tears [emoji22] from being quite active to not being able to walk very far is horrendous. Consultant said i am extremely young to even be considered for a knee replacement but not even sure that would help anyway - i really don't know where I go from here [emoji22] i was told i have to have had this condition for 3 months before I can even apply for pip !!

• stickywicket
    Options
    If your doc'surgery is so hopeless for appointments and no alternative practice available consider reporting the situation to PALS.

As for the physio, you might be able to get hospital transport. Just ask when you go. It sounds as if you might be undoing all the good work of the physio by getting there and back.

GPs do usually charge for notes. Someone has to do the work of finding and copying them and be paid to do it.
    Steven Wright
  • Mellie23
    Options
    Hi all sorry I haven't been on here much lately but it's been a bit hectic (working & hubby decorating). Just a quick update - got into the doctors this morning because my knee has been so painful & swollen the past 2 days & i haven't been able to sleep with the pain (88 times pressing redial to get an appointment though [emoji36]). My knee feels like it's bruised on the outside but there's nothing there but it's so sore (& it doesn't feel right) all the doctor could say was my ligaments are probably inflamed & has now prescribed tramadol [emoji21] on the upside though he's said that when I apply for pip they will contact the gp, consultant ect for all documents so at least i won't have to pay for it all [emoji5] so tomorrow morning i will start the ball rolling x thank you to everyone that has given me advice (& listening to me rant now & again [emoji28])

• stickywicket
    Options
    I'm a tad concerned. I do hope, if the ligaments are inflamed, he prescribed rest as well as tramadol. The latter only deals with pain. It won't heal anything and, if it simply enables you to use the knee more, it will make things worse.
    Steven Wright
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Mellie, if it’s inflammed, you should still use the ice packs. I’m not sure why he hasn’t prescribed anti inflammatories too. I’m thinking it might be because the first line anti inflammatory is ibuprofen, and many gps no longer prescribed this, they tell you to buy it. If that’s what he said , you should take it, unless there is a medical reason why you can’t. As for what he said about DWP contacting him, I wouldn’t bet on it. They more often don’t. Sometimes, they only contact GPS if you appeal a refusal and it goes to court.
  • Mellie23
    Options
    Hi stickywicket & jennand the doctor also prescribed me more naproxen 500mg so hopefully everything will calm down. I am still using the ice packs ect & have actually rested (not used to sitting down for long periods of time but i have to start listening to people). I really hope the doctor was right about the pip but i've still got my routine appointment at the doctors in 2 weeks so i'll start the application today & then when i'm at the doctors i will ask for copies of everything to do with my knee (which is a heck of a lot - my hospital file is huge [emoji23]).

• stickywicket
    Options
    Naproxen might help but please rest it too.

I'm with jennand. I don't think it's routine to send paperwork. It'll be up to you to get it and it could cost.
    Steven Wright