Tingling arm linked with thumb arthritis?

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 13. Feb 2018, 12:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all.

You may remember that I had a successful trapeziectomy about 18 months ago in my left hand. Since then, I've had a few steroid injections into my right thumb joint - last one September 2017 - and have made an appointment for another one at the beginning of March. My right basal thumb joint is very painful and looks rather swollen.

However, as of the last ten days, I'm getting a recurring tingling sensation in my right arm. I'm not sure if this is coming from my neck/shoulder or if it's the thumb joint that is causing it. I sometimes wake up at night and my right hand is numb, although the sensation comes back when I change position.

I have thought about having another trapeziectomy, but my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer before Christmas and I don't want to add to his stress as, if I had the op, he would be the one having to cook etc. and look after me for a while.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Is the tingling likely to just be the nerves and tendons being affected in my hand? Shall I just mention it to the GP when I see him?

Thanks, Meg

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, Megrose, it's one darn thing after another, isn't it? I have no idea what could be causing the tingling but the initial thought is that something, somewhere, is impinging on nerves. I think you should see your GP sooner rather than later, he is the best placed to advise: please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I have tingling and numbness down my arms/into my hands at times. I've been told by my GP and physio it's coming from where I have a nerve pinched in my neck, where my spinal cord gap is narrowed but my MRI report says "no contact yet". It's the use of the word "yet" that worries me!

I think you need to see your GP to get a proper diagnosis of this. S/he may well refer you for physio. I have regular physio on my neck which usually sorts this out for me - for a while.

I hope you get an answer for this and soon.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thank you DD and Grace. I've managed to get an appointment with my GP for Monday afternoon, so at least I don't have to wait so long. I'll let you know what happens.

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Meg
    I have tingling down my left arm, I was worrying it my be an heart problem, but after xrays it was found to be coming form my neck..I am sorry to hear about your husband but the treatment these day has really moved on, I hope he is doing ok....I might be picking your brain soon has I am down to have a trapeziectomy on my left thumb, I did put it off to have these hips replaced..and still am putting it off.. :o :roll: good luck with everything..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thanks, Barbara. Very interesting about your neck being the problem. It must have been a worry thinking it was your heart. My husband is doing pretty well so far. I must admit to being impressed that, within a month, he had seen the GP, had blood tests, had a bone scan and began treatment the same day as he saw the consultant.

Feel free to ask me anything about the trapeziectomy. Although I don't have as much strength as I did in that thumb, I'm pain free, which is the main benefit for me.

Take care.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Good luck for Monday, Megrose. Sorry I've not replied until now. I've had a very busy week.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thankyou Meg..must say when the pain comes on its far worse than these hips ever were..and such a small joint.. :o its so good to hear your husband is being look after properly, that means a lot in this day and age...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have the numbness and hot flushes in my lower limbs with the pins and needles in my shoulders and arms for a few years. I'm just back from the Drs, I felt as though I'm at a cross roads and I need some help after being put off by my GP for a long time. X-Rays and bloods done, we'll see what happens now!

Apparently x rays are being limited in our area so the ones of a few years ago will have to suffice for my lower spine and only Consultants can order scans.
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Hi all.

As soon as the GP saw my thumb he wanted to refer me. However, he knows about my husband's diagnosis, so was sympathetic to me not wanting an op just now. So, I had another injection and he said he'd see me again in the summer and will see about referring me then. I did have a flare of the joint last night, something I've not had in the past, after an injection. My hand/wrist was very painful, stiff and a little swollen. A lot better this morning, although it's still a little red and sore .

As for the tingling, I think he believes it's coming from the tendons around my thumb joint. I'm not sure, I think it's my shoulder, which aches somewhat. However, no real pain, so I can put up with that. He thought the injection might help, so we'll see about that one and I'll mention it again if it continues.

Thank you all for your support.

Meg x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Hope things improve, arther does work in strange ways sometimes.