Hello I am new

Options
sunshine
sunshine Member Posts: 2
edited 10. Feb 2018, 06:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hello
I have just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and am quite worried as so far been given an injection immediately and told to get a flu jab and pneumonia injection before starting medication which will be methotrexate and hydroxychlorine also eye test. I also had to have a chest xray.
I already suffer from and under active thyroid, and dry eyes so find this very worrying. Does everybody take medication or do some if it is possible control this via diet ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sunshine and welcome to the forums. I am sorry you have had to find us through your diagnosis of RA but this is certainly the right place to come for support and information.

It is always worrying when you are first diagnosed, it is the unknown and also when you are in pain you fear the worst, there is such of lot of support on the forums and please have a look around at all the different aspects of help we offer.

If you wish to talk to someone then please use our number 080 800 4050. There is always someone to talk to over those worrying niggles that never seem to go away..

I suspect you will have been told to get your flu and pneumonia injections because the medication you are to receive will lower your immune system.

Most people on the forums are on medication of some sort or other and have a wealth of experience that they will be happy to part with.

Perhaps this information on living with arthritis and diet might help www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/daily-life/diet-and-arthritis.aspx

Keep posting and all the very best.

Denise xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello sunshine and welcome from me too :D

I, too, have RA. I've had it for many years and nowadays it is very well controlled on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine.

Diet might help a little but won't do enough, unfortunately. RA is an autoimmune disease ie our immune systems are over-zealous and, instead of just attacking germs etc, they also attack our own bodies. The purpose of the medication is to dampen down these overactive immune systems and that can't be achieved by diet alone.

Because we are lowering our resistance to bugs etc it's important to cut down the risk of getting them - hence the flu and pneumonia jabs. The chest x-ray is to ensure you've no problems there before starting methotrexate and the eye test is a similar thing before starting the hydroxy..

It's all very bewildering at first and, if the steroid jab they gave you is making you feel all is now well, you may wonder if it's all necessary. It is. The steroid won't last and isn't a long-term solution.

Just be assiduous with your blood tests and try to stay away from colds etc and you'll be fine. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. Sticky has given you a very comprehensive explanation of why what is being done is being done, I have an auto-immune arthritis, psoriatic, which is very well controlled by the meds, but for me this was more of the same having been born with eczema and then developing asthma: my immune system has long enjoyed affecting my life.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest: I am a firm believer in the sooner one starts the meds the better the outcome will be - I've witnessed that for myself over my years of attending rheumatology. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hello Sunshine

I've noted that you are having problems using the forums.

To reply to any of the above posts, just click the "Reply to Topic" button at the bottom of the thread to call up the box where you can start typing.

All best wishes
    Brynmor