Hello

Options
Alba101
Alba101 Member Posts: 3
edited 11. Feb 2018, 19:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello my name is Anna and I am new to the forum.

I am 63 years of age and have been living with varied degrees of arthritis since I had total hysterectomy at the age of 25 due to massive tumour.

More recently I visited my doctor to ask about pain management referral .. she refused saying I should take amitriptyline .. problem being she did not read my records to see I am allergic to it .. she then suggested various other meds ... again not reading my records to find I am allergic to anything containing aspirin or ibuprofen .. so she then prescribed Gabapentin ..

At present I take limited amounts of DF118's with added paracetamol for pain .. I have for may years suffered pain with my M.E. and tried to fight through it .. so taking the tablets is when the pain becomes unbearable.

Anyway, I would like to hear others views on the Gabapentin ... I have read the side effects and slightly concerned as to the level which many are saying it affects their breathing .. I have COPD, asthma, anaphylaxis .. this doctor wants me to start on low dose of 100 then build that up over 7 days ..

Oh and I have appt with another doctor next week to discuss the manner which I was treated by this doctor ..

Any input would be most gratefully appreciated ..

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Anna and welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering from pain to such a degree that you have to consult your doctor.

The NHS has a good (beta) page on Gabapentin if you haven't seen it yet.

https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/gabapentin

- note, although it has a primary function, Gabapentin is not just
    used in the treatment of epilepsy, as it says on the NHS page :)

Hoping you get some good comments on others experiences with Gabapentin

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello Anna and welcome from me too.

It seems you have, and have had, quite a lot to contend with and that this is all impacting on what pain relief you can take.

I've never taken gabapentin. As someone with one or two issues besides arthritis I tread a fine line between being cautious of side effects and being aware that manufacturers are bound to list anything, however slight the risk. I doubt there's a drug on prescription that doesn't say it might affect breathing or give users stomach problems :roll:

It's sensible to start you on a low dose and build up. I hope it helps.

As regards the GP not knowing which meds you are allergic to - I never rely on the docs for that. I don't see how they can keep track of every patient so I always tell them to be on the safe side.

I know there are people on here who do take gabapentin and I hope they'll be around to help soon though weekends can be quiet on here.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I too have never taken gabapentin, I don't like being in pain but I find its feedback useful as a warning if I am beginning to overdo things. I have psoriatic and osteo arthritis, plus fibromyalgia. I was born with eczema and developed asthma aged seven but that is controlled by the meds for the PsA and inhalers. Since the age of 12 I've taken apparently contra-indicated medications as given by the various GPs over the years and had no trouble. I believe in taking pain relief a little and often because I have learned that when things build getting them back under control is hard: I use 30/500 cocodamol pain dullers, two twice per day but I am currently taking paracetamol alone to help me fight off a bout of flu (and yes, I had the jab but that is not a 100% fool-proof prophylactic) and the lack of codeine is certainly being felt. :roll: The little and often also leaves an escape route for the escalations that always arise, in my case slow release tramadol. I am used to constant pain and use distraction to ease what's left after the dullers have done their limited thing.

I have never expected any GP I see to recall me and my specific set of circumstances and neither do I think they should sit and waste valuable appointment time wading through my copious notes. I far prefer it when they say 'I don't know, let's check,' (not only the worried well consult Dr Google).

I hope things soon start to improve for you, you have a lot on your plate and that cannot be easy. I hope you also gain a satisfactory resolution to your complaint. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Shelley
    Shelley Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello Anna, I have taken Gabapentin a couple years ago. I tried it for 4 months working up doseages. Didn't really do much for pain and I gained a huge amount of weight so came off. Didn't have any concerns with breathing. I think everyone has different side affects with medication and think you should try it seeing as you are allergic to most things. Good luck