New here: osteoarthritis

Options
Bid
Bid Member Posts: 3
edited 16. Feb 2018, 12:07 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone,
I'm 52 on Monday and saw my GP today who confirmed a diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my feet and hands. I'm having another x-ray of my feet tomorrow as I've lost some movement in one foot since an x-ray last June, which showed moderate osteoarthritis. I did a grand job of pretending it wasn't happening which is why I've only been back for the results today!
I've been put on Naproxen for pain relief and my GP suggested glucosamine, which I've bought.
I'm feeling fairly low as there doesn't seem to be anything else that can be done. I feel very young still, and my career relies on being active and using my hands for a lot of creative work. Being able to make things/being creative is a central part of who I am, and I'm terrified of losing that ability with my hands. GP was nice but didn't seem to understand my concerns.
Humph :(

Comments

• Quintus
    Quintus Member Posts: 62
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi you! It is Wednesday night and really calm on the forum. I would like to welcome you to this brethren of outcasts.😊.
    You ARE young. As we all are! First of all: do not panic! If your GP does not understand your concerns, you will have to see someone who does!
    I am definitely not an expert on osteoarthritis. Well, I'm no expert, short.
    But do not panic! Try to find someone competent who hopefully will find the right treatment for you. I think this sounds really hollow and incompetent right now. But I am sure you will find a solution for your troubles. You are young and strong! No?
    Someone else on this forum will give you better and more competent advice tomorrow. I know that!
    Do not worry too much, ok?
  • Quintus
    Quintus Member Posts: 62
    Options
    P.S. I forgot to mention the helpline! Sorry! If you need advice- contact them. They are competent and nice! Just do it, if you feel lost, ok?!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi bid,
    welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time with your hands. Yes indeed you are young at 52 but sadly a lot of people are diagnosed with osteoarthritis at about this age. I'm not at all surprised that you are feeling a bit low having had this diagnosis it is not an easy one to come to terms with. However there are lots of solutions available out there and whilst I appreciate at the moment you are feeling terrified especially as you use your hands a lot with your work there will always be some ways of working round things. I think the first step would be to ask your GP to please refer you to your community occupational therapist, she will be able to advise you on gadgets and adaptations that you might find useful both at home and at work. Secondly ask to be referred to a physiotherapist so that you can get some exercises for your hands and feet. There are quite a few people on the forum who have used wax baths in the past as a way of helping their hand pain, I have certainly used this on occasion myself and found it very soothing.

The important thing at the moment is just to take one step at a time try and keep focused on the future I have found two fact sheets that you might find useful. This one is about osteoarthritis of the hands https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/671-osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist
    and this one is about osteoarthritis of the feet https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1134-osteoarthritis-of-the-foot

as Quintus mentioned you might like to contact our helpline team who are extremely supportive and would be able to talk to you in more depth. The helpline number is 0808 800 4050 and they are open during office hours Monday to Friday. Lastly I would just like to signpost you to our section on the website about living with arthritis as you may find this section of the website useful for tips on day-to-day living.https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis

Most importantly keep asking as many questions use you like, rest assured that there are people here who understand what you are going through and who will be delighted to offer you support and share their experiences with you.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I too have OA, affecting mainly my ankles, hips, knees and one shoulder. My hands, toes and other joints are affected by my auto-immune arthritis so life is not a barrel of laughs on that front. I began aged 37 and will be 59 soon so I am somewhat ahead of you.

I know that many on here have had great benefit from taking Naproxen and I hope you join that number. It's interesting how some feel it's doing nothing, stop taking it and find the opposite was true. Soaking your hands in a bowl of warm water can help relax them, especially first thing - some add Epsom salts to the water for added benefit. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Bid
    Bid Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind welcome and advice :)
    Today I've also found out I have the start of cataracts in both eyes...so a lot to think about!