Hip replacement at 30 - anyone else?

Options
debs242
debs242 Member Posts: 13
edited 17. Feb 2018, 05:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello

My seronegative arthritis turned into OA in my left hip while I was pregnant last year and I have been referred for a hip replacement op. Apparently my hip couldn't get any worse and this is the only option now!

I'm really worried about how long I will be in hospital and how long it takes to get mobile again after the op. I will have a 6-7 month baby to care for. I will obviously have help from my husband and my parents (who are retired) but I'm used to taking care of him myself.

I only found out on Monday so I haven't had much information yet and wondered if there was anyone who has had a joint replacement young and had any advice/words of encouragement?

Thanks

Debs

Comments

• debs242
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks Grace - your message was just what I needed!

All the other new mums I know are all out every day to activities like Buggyfit and I feel a bit isolated at times. I'm sorry you also suffered but it's reassuring to hear it isn't just me.

I hope you are doing well now.

Debs
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I had new knees at 35 after 20 years of RA. The hips came later :roll: At the time my two boys were about 10 and 8 but my RA which, at the time, was awful in my hands and feet, had flared very badly after both their births (and during the second pregnancy) so I did have babies and RA to contend with.

With hip replacement surgery you're usually home in about three days now but it's absolutely vital you don't try to rush the recovery. As Grace says, you learn to do things differently. Your 'differently' will be different to mine because yours is hip and mine, at that stage, wasn't but you'll learn quickly. I used to terrify my mother-in-law with how I picked up my younger son and with how, when he crawled too near something dangerous, I'd get his young brother to drag him away by his clothes. (He squealed with delight)

My advice is don't be proud. Accept all the help offered. You might feel you don't want to burden your parents but, as a parent, you'll know it's no burden. It might take up a lot of time but caring for our children takes top priority with us.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

By the way, I don't think an auto-immune arthritis 'turns into' osteo. It simply allows it in when the synovial fluid has gone. What meds are you / were you on for the autoimmune arthritis? Have you got back on them yet?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • debs242
    Options
    Thanks Sticky - it's good to stories of other people with arthritis who have had children. I already do some things about different with my son and am sure this will change again once I have my new hip.

My use of the phrase "turned into OA" was unfortunate and not really what I meant. Tying in haste this morning!

I was on sulfasalazyn (and had been for 6 years) but had to stop taking it 30 weeks into pregnancy as I had developed cholastasis of the liver. My son actually had to be delivered 3 weeks early as it was putting him at risk.

I have started to take methotrexate since I had him but have only taken it for a month so nothing to report yet.

Is there anything else you would recommend?

Debs
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Sorry about the cholastasis. My daughter-in-law had it (No arthritis, no DMARDS). It's not good. But my grandson rocked up a month early on his own initiative :wink: so that was that.

Yes, the meth will take some time to kick in and, for me at least, childbirth really sent my RA into overdrive - on both occasions. I hope it helps soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright